chapter twenty-nine

THE THREE OF us stared at my apartment building as if it was going to collapse in front of us at any second

THE THREE OF us stared at my apartment building as if it was going to collapse in front of us at any second. I had my head between the two front seats that Luke and Dad occupied.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come in?" Luke asked, a big yawn following him. I wished our plane had landed during the night so we could rest before all of this but of course, it landed during the day. That didn't help the jet lag at all.

"Yeah. It's better if we went in by ourselves," I said, sounding the least bit reassuring. Luke sent me an unimpressed look in the rearview mirror before stepping out to help me with my bags. I patted Dad on the shoulder before getting out to help.

Lule pressed a quick kiss to my lips. "Call me if you need a getaway driver," he joked. I rolled my eyes at him but a soft smile played on my lips.

"I want you to go get some sleep. I'll let you know how it goes," I said lightly, pushing him back to the driver's side door.

"Kaley, promise me you'll call," he said, a serious tone overcoming him. I smoothed back some limp curls from his face. Dad stood at the front of the car pretending not to notice us.

"I promise," I gently said, giving him a lingering kiss. He watched the two of us walk into the building before getting back into his car.

Dad's hands were shaking as we made our way through the lobby. Lucy gave me two thumbs up and a smile when she noticed me. I had filled her in on the way home and it was nice to have her reassurance.

Once we were standing in front of the door, Dad froze. I nudged his side and nodded to the door. Adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed harshly, his fist shaking as he rose it to knock but stopped midway.

So being the loving daughter I am, I knocked for him and stepped to the side.

Dad opened his mouth to say something but stopped when Mom opened the door. The shock stopped Mom completely as she stared wide-eyed at Dad. I could see Kendall leaning against the counter with a pained expression and Katie on the couch confused. The rest of the boys were missing and I was glad. This was something the five of us needed to do alone.

"Kent?" Mom whispered, her voice already breaking.

He gave her a half smile. "It's me, Jenny."

An ugly sob left Mom as she flung herself at him, her knuckles going white from how hard she was holding him. The scene brought tears to my eyes as Mom wept into his shoulder. Kendall even had to look away.

Dad effortlessly picked her up and took her inside. I followed after grabbing his bag, stopping right next to my brother.

"Guys, what's going on?" Katie asked, still looking at Dad with hesitation. Her soft voice was what brought Mom back to reality.

She stepped back from Dad and wiped her red eyes. "Katie..." she started trialing off not knowing how to say it. Mom knelt down in front of her and grabbed her hands. "This man is your father."