Good Enough - KB

"You ever feel like you're not good enough? Like everything you do, someone chooses someone else over you?" You asked, looking at the brunette sitting on the couch next to you.

"You know damn well I know that feeling better than anyone," Kate responded, putting her hand on your knee. The touch made your heart ache even more. You couldn't help the inevitable crush you'd come to have on your roommate.

Your heart had shattered the one night you'd come home from work to find her dressed in an all black tuxedo.

"Where are you going?"

"I have a date!" Kate exclaimed.

"Oh! Who's the lucky guy?" You asked, refusing to look at her face.

"Oh... uh lucky girl, actually," Kate said, quietly. That's when you heard your heart shatter. One million pieces.

"Oohh lucky girl forreal," you'd said, busying yourself in the kitchen.

"You gonna be okay on your own tonight? I know it's our movie night and I'm sorry-"

"Kit Kat, it's okay. Go on your date and show her what you're made of!" You said, playfully shoving the brunette out the door with a wink. After Kate had left, you sighed. The ache in your heart increased tenfold. What are they doing? Where are they going? Is she prettier than you? She's gotta be if Kate picked her. And part of you knew it was irrational to be upset. You'd never shared your feelings about Kate to her face. How could you expect her to feel the same way?

It was late when Kate returned, hints of dark lipstick smudged against her lips; a knowing look across your face as she slowly walked through the door. "Well?"

Kate beamed, her feelings written clearly across her face as she plopped down on the couch, her head landing in your lap like it often does. You gently removed her hair tie, pulling it around your wrist and began to gently scratch her scalp. "Tell me about your date, Kit Kat," you prodded.

"Okay well she's beautiful, blonde, her hair was braided down her back like... oh gosh like Rapunzel!! And she was short, like you, but maybe a little taller, and she talks a lot but I could listen to her talk all day with that accent she has and-" Kate rambled on, telling you about her evening as her eyes began to droop with the constant head scritches you were giving her.

"Perhaps you should go to bed, Kate," you teased.

"Mmm 5 more minutes, please," she hummed, pulling your hand back into her hair. You pet her and scratched her scalp gently, treating her like a little puppy. These were your favorite moments. Soft, innocent, but yearning. Kate's soft snores were an indication that she had fallen asleep, the day's events clearly exhausting her.

"Oh Katie," you mumbled, pressing a kiss to her forehead. You didn't bother moving her, falling asleep in your spot as Lucky laid on the floor beside you.

The next morning wasn't easier. Kate had awoken to a text from last night's date telling her how much she enjoyed it and that they should go out again soon. Of course it pulled Kate from her grogginess and she offered tonight for her to come over for dinner. "Oh shit, I'm sorry. I didn't ask you if that was okay I'm sorry. I'll call her right now and cancel-"

"Kate... you pay rent here too. Have the girl over, it's okay. I promise," you said, grabbing her and giving her a tight hug.

"Okay. Okay I'm sorry again," she said.

"Don't be! It's fine! Uh if you want, I can cook and then make myself scarce so you can enjoy your date," you offered.

"You'd cook for my date?!" Kate asked.