Petal - KB

The knocking on your apartment door continued to get louder, even though all you wanted it to do was stop. You knew who it was and you knew there was nothing but good intentions behind her knocking on your door at three in the afternoon, but you just wanted to be alone.

"Baby, please open the door. I know you're in there. Your doorman said he hasn't seen you all day," Kate persisted. You wanted to let her in, honestly you did. But you and the couch had become one with each other. The blue light of the television flickering across your face, tissues scattered across the coffee table, signs of a bad day.

"Don't make me do this baby girl, please! I want to help you," she pleaded from outside the door. You wanted the noise to go away and maybe, just maybe if you stayed quiet for long enough, she'd leave. This was not the first time you've had a day like this while dating Kate. But it's the first time she's ever been home to witness it and you weren't sure how she would handle it.

Wrapping your thick blanket around you even tighter, you slowly trudged across the living room to the door, hoping the darkness would hide your tear stained cheeks. There wasn't even one particular thing bothering you. It was many things and it was nothing. There were no thoughts running through your mind and no feelings other than the feeling of being empty. Your body feeling like an empty shell, enough to upset you for days on end. You unlocked the door but didn't open it. You trudged back to your couch, a decent sized indent caved the cushions from your body.

Kate opened the door slowly and stepped inside. She surveyed the apartment as she came in. Dirty dishes piling in the sink, empty water bottles on the floor, tissues scattered across the coffee table and floor, the box empty by your side as you sniffled loudly. She grabbed a trash bag and tossed all of your water bottles and tissues away and set the bag near the door. Then you heard the water running and dishes clambering a little too loud for your taste, but again, you knew she meant well. After she was finished, you could hear her footsteps getting closer to you and you shrunk into your blanket even more if at all possible.

"Hello petal," she said gently, sweeping some hair from your face. "Hi," you whispered back, not looking at her for fearing of crying once more.

"Is there room in there for one more?" She asked, referencing your blanket cocoon wrapped tight around your body. You nodded and she grinned ever so slightly, making a complete fuss of getting behind you so you could lie on her chest. Now that the two of you were comfy, Kate began mumbling sweet, little praises. "My beautiful girl... I wish I could do more to help you. No one should have to feel this way. Especially not my soft little petal. I love you so much baby. Just relax. Deep breaths and listen to my heartbeat."

You laid your head back against her chest, her heartbeat beginning to slow down as she relaxed there with you. "Is there something you want to talk about, my sweet?" She asked you, brushing some hair out of your face.

"No," you mumbled, burying your face into her warm chest.

"Well, whatever it is, I'm here for you petal," Kate responded.

"M'just tired is all," you muttered. "Tired of dealing with life and feeling like no one cares about me and no one would miss me if I was gone," you started, as tears began rolling down your cheeks once more. Kate grabbed a tissue and wiped away your tears, her other hand gently scratching the back of your head.

"Hey angel, you know that's not true. I for one would be devastated if you left me. And you know the team would be too! They love having you around! Even if all you do is tease them. And Clint and Laura, and Yelena loves you and Lucky loves you and your friends love you-"

"Okay, okay, I get it!" You responded, smiling a bit.

Kate gasped. "Was that... was that a smile!?" She asked.

Your straight face returned before you answered her. "Nope. Nuh uh. No smiling here. Just sadness and tears."

"That was definitely a smile. I saw it. Your dimples were showing and your teeth sparkled at me!" Kate exclaimed, kissing the top of your head as you wrapped your arms around her torso.

"You're so warm," you mumbled.

"I know petal, you tell me this all the time," she reminded you. "Well its true."

"So are you feeling a bit better?" Kate asked.

"A little bit better. Like a tiny tiny ounce better."
You said, smirking.

"Well then my work here is done," she said as she went to get up from the couch.

"Wha-?! Where are you going?!"

"Well you said you're feeling better so you don't need me here anymore!!"

"Katherine Elizabeth Bishop, get your butt back over here and finish cuddling with me. It's cold here now and I need your warmth," you commanded.

"I knew that was the only reason you keep me around!!" She joked. You gave her a light slap on the arm and she grinned, her beautiful smile warming your heart as usual. She leaned down and pecked a kiss to your lips, and then slid her arms under your body to pick you up. You screeched for a second before she shushed you.

"Baby it's okay, I'm just gonna take our cuddles to a more comfortable place," Kate said.

"Could you maybe I dunno... warn a girl next time you decide to pick me up?!"

She snickered and responded with, "What's the fun in that?!"

You rolled your eyes before being plopped down on your bed and Kate joined you. She removed her shirt and you couldn't help but stare, her pale skin glistening in the moonlight filtering through the blinds. Kate knew how much skin on skin contact helped you ground yourself on days like these. "Eyes up here, petal," she giggled.

"Oh hush."

"I am the luckiest girl on earth," she mumbled into your hair, pressing a kiss to your scalp. You sighed, pressing a kiss to her collarbone, before concentrating on her beating heart and falling asleep. There wasn't anyone else you'd rather be with on your bad days. Sure it doesn't cure everything, but the reassurance of Kate and her sweet gestures sure made low days more bearable.