Chapter 9: Lessons

"Melody Cattington?"

Melody looked up at the security guard standing only a few feet from her. He greets her with a smile.

"You may come with me." The guard says.

Melody stands from her seat in the waiting room, clutching a package in her hands. She smooths out her red dress and follows the guard down a hall. Although Melody was quite used to the walk towards the cell room, she couldn't help but feel as if a pit lay at the bottom of her stomach.

Reaching the next floor, Melody was guided through a set of double doors. On the other side of these doors was a metal detector and x-ray machine. Another security guard, a woman, stood close by the machinery.

"Place your items on the conveyor belt." The female security guard says. "Then you're allowed to come through the detector."

Melody nods and places her package on the belt. Watching it go through the machinery, she walks forward through the detector. The detector is silent as she walks through. A good sign.

"May I grab my package now?" Melody asks. The female guard nods.

The feline grabs her package off the belt and the security guard that came with her guides her into the hall.

"You know," The guard begins. "They're very eager to see you."

Melody looks up at the guard. "Is that so?"

"Yes, they won't stop complaining. They love the cake samples you always bring for them." The guard continues with a smile.

Melody clutches the package close to her. She smiles softly. "Freshly baked, actually. I made it myself."

"Is that so?" The guard asks. When Melody nods he chuckles. "It's volunteers like yourself that I'm glad to see come by this place."

Melody smiles. "I try to do my best."

The two near the end of the hall, passing by a group of officers who were holding taser sticks. Melody notices them. She stares at the weapons before moving forward. She grips the package more as she continues on.

"We're here." The guard says, reaching a heavy metal door with a keypad lock.

Melody waits as the guard punches in the keycode. With a buzz, the door is unlocked. As the guard opens it, Melody walks inside. Within, Melody is greeted by a large room with blue walls covered in childish paintings of butterflies and rainbows. The tiled floor was brightly white and covered with a few rugs of the same childish demeanor. Clouds, cute animals, and butterflies. She spies the empty swing in the middle of the room, along with a table and set of chairs. All painted in rainbow colors.

Melody's ears twitch at chatter. She turns to look near the back of the room. There she spotted a set of bunk beds near some bookshelves. Accompanying the bed sat two toon children wearing orange jumpsuits. Melody smiled at the puppycat looking children. The guard knocks his fist gently against the door. It stops their talking and they turn their heads to the two.

"Your teacher is here, kids." The guard said. When the children are silent, the guard looks towards Melody. "I'll leave you to it then."

Melody nods. "Thank you. Have a nice evening."

The guard nods and exits the cell, closing the door and leaving Melody alone with the children. Melody looks back to the children and as expected, the youngest girl was standing before her with the biggest of smiles.

"Did you bring the cake?" The young girl asked. Melody smiled at the way her coal eyes twinkled with joy. Melody holds up the package.

"Of course, Shayna." Melody says. "But we'll have it after our lesson, okay?"