Chapter 17: The Spotlight

((A/N: OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT TO UPDATE THIS LAST NIGHT! UGH! Anyway, enjoy chapter 17 folks!))

((TW: Electrocution, abuse and suggested physical abuse))

"PIN HIM DOWN!"

"TASE THE SON OF A BITCH!"

"GRAB HIM!"

Zekko bounced off the wall, tackling the first officer he saw. The two went rolling and Zekko managed to flip both of them so he stayed on top of the officer. He struggled with the officer, trying to grab the taser in his hands which the officer aimed to use on him. Just before Zekko could grab the taser, a looped cord was flung over his head and wrapped around his neck. Zekko gags as he's pulled off the officer and brought down to the floor. His hands fly to the cord, writhing in place to get it off, but then the taser sticks come out.

His scream roars throughout the room while his body shakes from electrocution. The tasers are removed from Zekko as he falls limp. Zekko weakly stares at the nearest wall, watching it as it turns blurry before his eyes. The officers surround him just as the world starts to spin.

Zekko's vision blackens.

"Wakey wakey, sleepy head!"

Zekko pries his eyes open. All the pain from earlier had vanished and now he stared at a young puppy cat child. He wore a bright green hat and a brown jacket with a pair of green slacks. He was staring down at him with the biggest smile ever. Zekko's eyes widened.

"Zekko, you almost slept through rehearsal!" The puppycat giggles. "The whole cast has been looking all over for you!"

"R-rehearsal?" Zekko sits up, realizing he was laying in a hammock that had been tied between two plastic trees. He looks around. For once the bland walls of the prison did not surround him. Instead, a bunch of colorful set-design walls did. Hearing voices not too far away, he turned his head around and saw people dressed in various costumes. As well as reading and practicing their scenes from scripts. Zekko felt his jaw slacken.

The studio. He was back at the studio...

"Come on, big brother!" The puppycat elbows Zekko, getting his attention. "I'll race you!"

The puppycat child runs off, zooming at top toon speeds, forcing anyone in his way to go spinning. Zekko quickly stands up out of the hammock, reaching out for the child who had long gone.

"Gekko!" Zekko cries out. "Wait!"

Zekko starts running, only to stop when a giant light flashes down on him.

"It's your line, Zekko!"

"Huh?" As Zekko snaps his head towards the direction of the voices, he was suddenly no longer at the studio. Next, he knew, he found himself on a big stage, with tall red curtains beside himself. He squinted his eyes in pain as a giant spotlight was aimed at him. Before he could question anything, he heard the sound of laughter and turned to see a familiar face beside him.

"Go on!" A puppycat girl about his age stood next to him, eagerly smiling. She wore a pretty purple dress with a red bow on the chest and a belt around her waist. She had a slim figure and long locks of curly black hair that flowed above her shoulders. Zekko feels his heart begin to race.

"Maddie?" Zekko says in astonishment. He reaches out, touching the girl on the cheek. "Is it really you?"

Maddie giggles and then winks at him. "Oh Zekko, you know better than that!"

"What do you mean?" Zekko says, feeling as if he's in some trance. He reaches for her hand...only for her to grab his wrist. Zekko gasps and tugs for his arm back, but to no avail.