SIX

------

S U M M E R

"I am so sorry for your lose, Summer. Logan was a good man and an even better alpha." He says, as we both stare at Logan's head stone, where "a loving mate" is engraved, mocking my existence. My head moves to stare at Micah, Logan's ever so dutiful beta and close friend.

I feel nothing. No pain, no remorse, no sadness, no regret. I try to remember his face as a loving man, or if he ever actually cared and yet nothing comes to mind. He was just a nightmare in the form of an alpha. A horrible human with the wrong role in life. I can feel the hollow gap where our bond used to occupy at the pits of my stomach. An empty feeling, clawing reminding me he no longer exists. I prefer the emptiness to the pain the horrible man has caused me.

"It's okay, Micah. I'm feeling better now." I give him a small grin yet it doesn't take the doubt away from his eyes. I understood the look.

I had not cried. Not a single tear had leaked out of my eyes. They thought I was numb and still in shock. No one understood I felt relief that he was gone, erased from my life.

"It's okay to grief, luna. The pack will not hold it against you. They'll be very supportive and understanding." Micah assures me and I nod offering him a non-existent smile.

Micah sighs before turning and leaving, realizing he will not elicit any reaction from me. I can feel the power coursing through me, reminding me that I am both the alpha and the Luna now. My senses have heightened, vision brighter and better than before.

I feel her before I can even see her. I turn, offering her a grin.

"So it's true, you're now the luna-alpha." Annalise smiles, pulling me into a short hug.

"Yeah, a title I will have to live up to." I smile and hers drop.

"Well, you need to prepare. The council are sexists and they will try to bring a new alpha in your stead."

A low growl leaves my mouth at the thought of a new man taking the place Logan had occupied, a man worse than Logan. I would have to be stripped of my power and I'll be an ordinary pack member. If I was pregnant, it would have been better.  My hands clench. There's no way I am letting those old bastards steal my hard earned title.

"They cannot take the title from me! There have been female alpha's before. Alana, Black Mist Pack, Selena, Eclipse Moon Pack! I can go on!" I hiss, my eyes flashing the color red.

Annalise eyes widen, probably not expecting my reaction. I had been quiet for so long, letting everyone walk all over me. I had been quiet when Logan hit me, hurt me, defiled me. Never again. Never again would I let anyone trample on me.

"They think you are weak because of what happened. That you cannot do it while grieving, or the lack thereof." Annalise explains, her eyes holding rage. She hates it too.

"My grief has nothing to do with being an alpha. They just dislike the thought of a woman holding power." I state, knowing my words are true. Dark Storm Pack is neither a small nor a large pack. It has just the amount of pack members to be noticed by power hungry wolves. I would show them.

"My thoughts exactly. For the record, I'm on and by your side through all these." Annalise affirms offering me a small grin.

"Thank you, I appreciate that so much." I smile before it drops, "When's this meeting?"

"Tonight at around 8pm. You'll need to be prepared for the worst. Male elders are known to be ruthless, especially Daniel." She says as I picture the salt, pepper haired male whose view on women had been anything but appropriate or pleasant.

I knew this would be a daunting event but I am ready to fight for what's mine. What I have suffered for two whole years for.

___

"Luna Summer and pack elders we are here to discuss the fate of this pack. As you already know Logan died with no heir and has left behind a mate." Malcolm, a caramel skinned with salt pepper hair speaks,him being one of the oldest elder, his eyes falling on all the five members present. "We are here to determine the fate of this pack. Without an heir, the pack falls to Luna Summer."

I stare at the elders trying to gauge their reaction to the words stated. None of their expression shows anything worth looking at.

"I'll give everyone the opportunity to air out their thoughts on what they think it's best suitable for this pack." Malcolm completes. If I were male, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. I would be alpha without a doubt but because I am a woman there's need to decide the fate of the pack.

"I think the pack should be disbanded and members allowed to join different packs." James, a very slender looking man, chimes in glaring at me in the process. I actually don't care.

"Anyone else?"

"Yes, I believe a new male alpha should be sort out. There are a few packs with second alphas son with strong enough gene to lead a pack." Daniel finally speaks up, sending me a heated glare just like James had done.

"Well anyone else?"

I glare at them and wait for more concerns to be aired. Melissa, the only female elder stares at me, a grin forming on her mouth.

"I think Summer should decide what she wants to do with her pack. This pack belonged to Logan, her mate. We have seen very many successful female alphas before and I don't doubt she can do it too." She says and I'm quit taken aback.

"No, it's not happening. This pack needs a strong male alpha that will bring the pack together." Daniel emphasizes as he gazes at me.

It was my turn now to speak.

"I have given you a chance to air out your grievances and I have heard each one of you. I would like to remind you elder Daniel that I am already alpha. As you can already tell when Logan died his power shifted to me. I have you a chance to speak and now it's my turn. I only gave you the opportunity to speak so I can see what you really think of me and it's decided. I will run this pack as alpha and nothing you say or do will make me step down. I have also decided that James and Daniel, you will no longer be part of my council. I will appoint new members."

"You can't do that! This role is hereditary." Daniel hisses, shooting up from his seat.

"I already have, Daniel. If you even try to do something to resist me as alpha, I promise you I will kick you out of the pack before you can even blink. Spread wide and far that any alpha that tries to take my title from me will be met with death.  You're dismissed."

All the other elders are wise enough to keep quiet as they all get up. Melissa grins at me, amusement and content evident in her eyes and I know then that she supports me fully on this. They  have noted the shift in the air and in my voice. I had always been docile and compliant to every decision and backing up Logan. It was time I stepped up as the alpha I was now.

I wouldn't let anyone walk all over me. Never again.

_____

So, what do you think?

Short chapter. It's been a while since I wrote this book.

Vote. Comment. Share.