SEVEN

______

S U M M E R

I stare at the large expanse of my land, a grin pulling on my lips. I could vividly hear as most of my pack members struggled to catch their breath in the extensive exercise course I had put in place. It had taken Annalise good warriors and her third in command to come up with a good, efficient and effective schedule.  I love her.

It had taken a few months to whip my body into shape as the new alpha and that's all thanks to Annalise. She's stuck by me through the whole progress. The training schedule was thorough and draining but it was all worth it. I would never let some stuck up alpha male take my pack or even get close to it. I had to grow strong and my pack also had to grow with me. The schedule Logan had was completely pathetic and it's shocking my pack had never been attacked before or overthrown by power hungry wolves. Now, I would never let it happen.

"Again!" I scream and watch with satisfaction as the eighteen years old and above get back to sparring. They were getting stronger, I noted. The only ones not present were very young pups and pregnant mothers. Though younger pups aged two to five had a small training session for them, just basic self defense.

It takes a few more hours for the training session to come to an end and I watch them exit the training ground, other sluggish and others quite energized. It didn't matter though, and long as they could protect themselves it wouldn't deter me from the necessity of training.

I feel him and I don't react to it as he walks closer to me.

"Beta Micah, is there something I can do for you?" I mutter, my voice sounding robotic even though I try to put some emotions to it. I realize I've failed miserably.

"Alpha, the training has gone pretty smoothly. A few wolves are still quite resistant claiming Logan had not subjected them to this intense training before." Micah says, his voice void of emotions.

"Well, I'm alpha now and I will do whatever I deem fit for the pack. The pack was on the verge of collapsing because Logan was unconcerned about it. I thought you knew this already, Micah. You were Logan's beta and now mine, I expect efficiency." I explain and without even looking at him, I know he's nodding.

"Yes alpha. I will ensure I pass the message to the pack." He assures and I sigh.

"You know I care for this pack, Micah and I wouldn't risk it for anything in the world." I state and I turn to stare at him.

"I know, Alpha." He says and I feel strange at the name, for some weird reason. He had always called me Summer and now it's strange.

"Summer will do, Micah." I mutter and his eyes widen before he nods, stutters and walks away.

The pack had grown. It's been almost over a year since I became alpha and it's been tough and yet I wouldn't change at thing about it. I loved this pack and I would do anything to see it strive. Logan was gone and this pack would finally shine after being overshadowed by him.

I sigh and walk away from the grounds, my feet leading me straight to the pack house. The blue colour that once coated the outer side of the pack house now a vivid cream colour that made the house enchanting to look at and not overly dizzying.

I walk in, kicking off my shoes at the door, heading to my room. It was going well until I bumped into Annie and my heart drops to my stomach. I could never bring myself to talk to her normally after Logan's death. How could I face her when I knew I was the one who killed her son and I felt no remorse about what I had done.

"Summer, darling how are you doing?" Annie inquires a smile lighting up her face. She was as sweet as I recall.

"Hello, Annie." I grin slightly.

"Are you doing okay? It's been so long since we last spoke." Annie says, her eyes growing sad and I have to hold in a groan. That's why I avoided her. How could I face her when I know what happened.

"I'm great, Annie. I have just been busy with the pack." I reply, a small grin forming on my lips. The grin barely there anyways.

"You know you can talk to me about anything, right? I know being alpha can be stressful. Logan used to handle it quite well but he sometimes was quite stressed." And that's why I avoided her. In our conversation, her son was bound to show up to haunt me, to remind me that there are people who still recall who he was. That he had not faded. How unfortunate that is.

"I'll keep that in mind, Annie. I have to go though, see you later." I reply and hurry away before she can respond or even ask anymore questions. I feel her eyes follow me and I dash towards the stairs.

The alpha's house that I once occupied with Logan now empty. I planned on renovating and erasing every signs of his existence there. However, I know even a single piece that remains will always somehow remind me of how horrid he had been. I don't dwell on the thought though.

When I get to my room I strip and hop into the shower, loving how the cold almost freezing water hits my naked skin. After the torturous training session, a cold shower is a such a relief. I stare at the tiled floor where the water cascades down and drains out in the tiny drainage at the corner. Without my knowledge, my mind drifts to Logan, as it always does. I have no control over it, no say in it. It was just what it was. Logan tormenting me, his voice resounding in my head over and over and over again reminding me how much men can be cruel. Reminding me that I didn't need one. That I was so much better on my own.

Logan gave me scars, torment, depression, self loathe, but also realization. A realization that no one ever truly cares. Logan was a part of my soul, the literal half of it and he had enjoyed hurting me, seeing me bleed and hit me until I was black and blue. If your soul can do that, what about other people? I knew my answer. I was truly all alone. I no longer knew how to bond with the friends I once had because he had made sure to scar me so much, I could no longer relate to the sunshine personality they all had. I love them but I don't think I knew them or myself anymore.

Tears flood my eyes and I blink so rapidly refusing to let that man win. He has won so very many times and I had let him, let him rid me of myself and break me in many ways. This time, I wouldn't let him. I would win. For me. I was no longer that woman anyway, the woman who desired a mate, the woman who desired to be with a man. I knew it was trauma based but I realized genuinely that I don't need a man, that I can be my own happiness, something I had not realized with Logan. And I would be that to myself. My own happiness, with no man in the mix.

________

More of a filler chapter!

I'm so pumped to write this book! I wish I don't lose this motivation. Stay tuned for a long journey! :)

Vote. Comment. Share. Follow.