NINE

____

S U M M E R

"You cannot be serious, Micah." I glare at my beta who looks away.

"Logan kept most things secret. He rarely shared anything with me. I only know a few basic things about the pack." Micah whispers looking away from me. He looked pretty down after I had glared at him.

Three pack members came to Micah early morning complaining about how their children had been missing for a while now. Logan had promised them that he was doing everything he could to get them back. I'm shocked they took a whole year for them to raise the issue. It came as utter shock to me that people in the pack were missing. Pack members were missing and no one else knew about it. Not even Micah himself. The beta.

"Do you know when he promised them he'll get them back, when did they disappear? You completely know nothing about this?" I glare at Micah whose eyes had not met mine. What was the point of a beta if they didn't coordinate with an alpha. Was Logan an alpha at all?

"I don't know. What I'm sure about is that a few pack members had come complaining to Logan. I only heard snippets of the conversation. I didn't ask hoping he'd tell me eventually. I think that was it." Micah reveals and I groan. This pack was a lot worse than I thought.

"Was there any documents that hinted anything towards Logan's research of the missing pack members or even how they went missing?" I ask and Micah looks away. I know my answer.

"Was there anything recorded? Any clue?" I ask more to myself as I rummage through the thick sheets of paperwork on Logan's desk. I hadn't moved a thing. This place held horrid memories and I was considering destroying the whole thing. Thank goodness I hadn't.

"Bring the parents of the missing wolves to me, please." I request, rubbing my temple in frustration. Micah mutters a yes before exiting the office. I stare at the large stack of papers and documents and groan. Being alpha is surely not a walk in the pack. The amount of content spilled on the table manages to cause a pounding behind my eyes. This was going to take a while to sort through and find the most important ones while discarding the rest.  From the look of things Logan was just an alpha for show. I had sorted a few important documents, the amount of money allowed to each pack members, the amount for constructions of new houses and any other necessity from pack members. Some members approached me while others completely avoided me. It has only been a year so I don't expect love and dedication anyway.

Heavy footsteps echo somewhere outside my door before they get closer. From the heavy steps, I note it's a male, two females and Micah. It takes a few seconds before their scents tickle my nose, the scent of the pack, as a knock sounds.

"Come in," I call and the door opens.

I stare as two females walk in with a male trailing behind them, Micah holding the door. I stare at the two females. One has olive skin with pale green eyes with dark hair held in a messy bun. She's quite slim and more on the shorter side. I couldn't even tell their ages because supernatural aging rarely occured. The other female has chocolate complexion, blue eyes with dark brown curls cascading down her back. She's neither short nor tall, average height. The male, like most male wolves is bulking with muscles. His pale skin contradicts with his striking dark eyes. He looks quite intimidating. I know instantly he is one of the warriors. I have seen him around the pack and the training ground before and yet, we never really interacted before. I held pack meetings often and yet most members still avoided me like the plague, the male included.