TWENTY

____________

S U M M E R

Blood soaks the spot where the girl lays, life non-existent in her eyes. Her throat slit from the claws that had resurfaced the moment the silver in her blood had reduced. There goes our only source of information. My heart pangs a little for her. She was used and disposed her life with no meaning at all. It was also my fault for being to preoccupied with the what she had shared before.

"I'll bring a few warriors to go burry her." Asher says as we both walk out of the dirty cell.

"The one that sends these rogues must know that any rogue they send will die for their cause meaning, they'll send more because they are just pawns." I tell Asher who nods his head agreeing with my conclusion.

"Yes, that means we need to find whatever it is that they are looking for and fast."

In each and every attack that had occurred, they have all headed to alpha's house, the one I had shared with Logan before meaning, Logan was the one that hid whatever they are looking for or there is something important Logan owned. I had cleared almost everything in that disgusting house and nothing ever really caught my attention or was suspicious. Logan had been secretive more than I imagined.

He ignored the parents of the missing wolves, he worked with rogues, he was also involved in some shady business of theirs and most probably, had something to do with the missing wolves.

"Logan is a big part of whatever is going on."

"Order a few guards to guard the Alpha's house and more to be stationed on our eastern and southern border where the rogues came from. Also, pack patrols should be someone of the age thirty and above." Asher nods, bows and rushes towards the training hall.

I stare at Asher's retreating figure wondering what we had done to Logan for him to turn and completely take a turn into the darkness where he'd collude with rogues and disregard the safety of his entire pack. The thought of Alpha Ares helping out after I had adamantly told him there'd be nothing for him to see is a huge blow to my pride. I had been confident that although there was a wolf that had gone missing and a few that had happened in the past few years here and had not been accounted for, there'd be no way Alpha Ares would find anything more. That had been a silly thought. Now, I needed him. I am confident in my strength as an alpha but considering the magnitude of what I feel is going to come, I didn't think I'd be able to handle it on my own. Sooner or later, I'd have to inform other packs of what is happening and I'd be at a disadvantage if my ex and disgusting mate was proven to be involved which was heading in that direction. How he was involved remained a mystery and a bother to me.

I find myself standing outside the Alpha's house, all construction and renovation had come to a halt. Sometimes when I concentrate hard enough, I can still feel his scent or get phantom memories of him walking through the hallways, him raising his hand in an attempt to hurt me, yelling at his loud voice that usually left my ears ringing and my body groaning in pain. The house haunted me and for the first time I realize no matter how much I change the inside, it would always remind me of Logan and the thought sours my mood.

I take steps towards the back door of the house and pull the key that I usually carry with me and unlock the door. It felt so familiar and strange at the same time. Memories always replayed as if I was detached from my body and watching everything from a distance. Today, though I refuse to dwell on them and I rush upstairs where our bedroom and Logan's office is. I should have done this before but I had been avoiding it, risking my pack and the foreign members here. Alpha Ares looked like a trustworthy alpha but it didn't help that he was a man, not that women weren't scary, but I had been burned by a man before and I wasn't ready to feel the same pain twice.