NINETEEN

___________

A R E S

"So you think the former alpha had something to do with what is happening now?" Roan asks the second we are in our cabin. He stares at the side of my face for a few seconds before heading to the fridge. He pulls out a carton of orange juice. He plucks out a glass on the cabinet on top of the fridge and pours a generous amount of it. He offers me a glass and I decline.

"Yes, I think he did and from what I have seen I don't think he had a good relationship with Alpha Summer." I explain, a peculiar feeling flooding my lungs. Alpha Summer has always shown some reserve when talking about her mate. I didn't understand if it's because she felt sad because of the lose or because she wasn't particularly fond of the man. My instincts told me the latter. I refuse to dwell on I because it's something I'm not conversant with.

"Well, everytime she speaks of him, it's like she freezes up like she's scared, I'm not sure." I try to explain the feeling only for Roan to look at me as if I'm crazy. Maybe I'm just imagining things.

He takes a gulp of the juice,"Or is it because you are just jealous." He concludes and I glare, knowing that whatever I'm saying might be true. I remember almost vividly the first time I mentioned him during the short tour of her pack that Alpha Summer had given me and her reaction back then was detached.

She had been so stunning and I had been completely enraptured that I had barely thought of her reaction until I realized her ex mate was barely mentioned in her presence. Maybe because people usually avoid those topics because they are hurt, I didn't know. I have heard good things from pack members; praising him for guarding the pack and completely eradicating rogue attacks, which was strange on its own. I didn't think further on it, deciding to ignore the nagging feeling to dig deeper into the pack. It wasn't my place too and I didn't want to be chased by Alpha Summer before I could understand what's going on or why my wolf, the most primal part of me, felt as if he was under a spell. A strong one at that.

"I'm joking anyway. I pray your unrequited love doesn't end in tears and painful howls through the night." Roan grins and I glare. He takes a final gulp of the juice and places the glass on the sink.

"You sure have so much to say about the alpha and I." I reprimand, glaring at the discarded glass. He should definitely rinse it. I don't air out my grievances.

He grins, the smile looking evil on his face, "And you don't. Have you ever spoken to her without looking like a dying fish out of water?"

"Roan, I'll demote you if you keep acting like this." I shoot him a freezing glare and it doesn't have the reaction I predicted. Of course he'd throw me off, he is good at that.

Instead, his eyes light up a huge genuine smile forming on his mouth, "Oh, please do alpha.  I'd have so much time on my hands and I'd travel the world, visit other packs, find the love of my life and live happily ever after, unlike someone I know."

"Please shut up." I hiss and continue before he opens his mouth in a retort, "Did Simon or Melissa send you any papers? I'm very pleased by their ability to work even when I'm not around."

"Yeah Simon did. A few feuds broke out during the week but he managed to handle it well. Two she-wolves gave birth and Melissa took care of that. The construction for the extra classroom is almost done and Alexis said she'd be coming home during the week." Roan explains as he stares at the information he just relayed on his MacBook.

My wolf perks up at the mention, "Alexis?"

Roan smiles eyes lighting up, "Yes, she's done with Blue Valley Pack. She formed a peace treaty with them too."