SIXTEEN

_________

S U M M E R

I rub my eyes with the back of my hand as a small yawn leaves my mouth. I take a sip of the coffee and sigh as my taste buds receive the much needed caffeine. The headache that was nagging just behind my eyes begin to dissipate as I take another large sip of the liquid. A small sigh rushes through my lips as I savor the feeling of it in my mouth.

My mind unconsciously wonders to Alpha Ares, like it has been happening for the past few hours. The man can't exit my mind no matter how hard I've tried. My wolf has been sending images of him through my brain ever since the small party that had been held for them. I had felt his heated gaze on me almost the entire time there. My wolf had purred at the attention and I didn't know what to do with it.

"Alpha Ares will be here soon, alpha." Micah says snapping me back to the present. He has never called me by name.even though I've told him it's okay for him to do so.

"Do you have all the files ready?" I ask. I already collected all the files from missing wolves from different packs.

"Yes, here they are." Micah hands me the files detailing all the information needed. 

The first ever recorded missing wolf was from this pack and it set the trend where one or two wolves began to disappear without a single trace. Looking closely, only wolves from tiny packs had began to disappear. The Alpha's had concluded they either left the pack willingly or went rogue, believing they'll eventually come back. Wolves in smaller packs usually leave because they are more susceptible to attacks and in case of one, chances of their survival are low. Bigger packs on the other hand, have a bigger advantage in their numbers. In the recent years, especially the previous two years, wolves from big and prominent packs have followed the same pattern. Gone and untraceable.

Asher is quite good and very thorough with his investigation. In just a few days I had gotten all this information from him. He is my third for a reason too. Reliable and quick.

"Here's here." I tell Micah just as his scent fills the room. He's accompanied with his beta who has a large grin on his lips, eyes alight with delight and some other mischievous emotion I can't seem to fully grasp. My wolf begins to react and I do the only thing I can at that moment; shut her out. I'm not ready for her crazy behavior.

"Alpha Ares, beta Roan please take a sit."

We are currently at a small meeting room where I usually hold meetings with Micah, Asher and a few pack tops.

"Would you like anything to drink before we begin?" 

"Yes, please I'll have white coffee with two sugars." Roan grins and Micah nods.

I turn to Ares and realize his eyes are already staring at me in an intense gaze. My wolf pushes forward through my restrain and I'm almost sure my eyes flash. What is wrong with me? No, what's also wrong with him?

"Tea with milk and three spoons of sugar." He says and I  turn to look away. My eyes focus on the only thing distracting me, that is Micah. Micah grabs a small bag of coffee, tears it open and pours the content in the mug. He then pours a generous amount of milk and scoops two tea spoons of sugar and deposits on the mug. He stirs lightly and hands it over to Roan who grabs the mug with glee. Micah then prepares Ares preference as I watch not ready to meet the Alpha's eyes. I remind myself that he's a man and all men are the same. This slightly snaps my wolf to her senses and she retreats allowing me to fully focus on the situation at hand.

"You have missing wolves." I state, already aware of it.

"Yes and I assume you do too." Alpha Ares says as he takes the mug from Micah.