TWENTY ONE

__________

S U M M E R

Bright light. I groan, rolling over to hide from the source of the annoyance, a feeling of discomfort gracing my eyes. The last thing I recall is . . . is rogues, attacking and being carried by Alpha Ares. I shoot up from the warm bed which is obviously mine from the familiar scent.

I scan the room, looking for the man that had shattered my personal space. The curtains are open, the bright light almost hurting my eyes. I touch my side, realizing the wound is gone. The healing had taken quite long and I didn't understand why.

The door cracks open and someone peeks in. Bryte brown hair comes into view, a wide smile on her mouth.

"You're awake. You've been asleep for a while." She says as she gets in and I note the tray of breakfast she's holding with both her hands. Pancakes, drenched in syrup and milk tea. The way I liked it. I knew the tea contains two and a half scoops of sugar. Bryte knew this. I knew this. My lungs constricts.

"I'm feeling so much better. Thankyou Bryte." I smile and she nods, placing the tray on my lap, eyes racing over my body.

"How's Aliza?"

"She's awake now. Asher has been with her for a while." She says as I take a bite of the food, and it's delicious.

A few more bites later and Bryte is still standing there, her eyes digging into the side of my head. I drop the fork, and take a hold of the mug, bringing it close to my mouth for a sip, my eyes meeting hers.

"You've all but disappeared these days." Bryte begins, her brown eyes looking solemn, making my heart clench.

"I have just been busy with being alpha and all." I try but it sounds lame coming from my mouth. Yes, I am busy but that didn't excuse my behavior. I was distant and cold to her.

"For the past four years?" She asks, her voice cracking, and I look away.

"I don't know what you want me to say, Bryte." I am a coward.

I hear her sniffle, and I turn to stare, wide eyed.

"Excuse me then." She rushes out of the room and I stare as the door closes, my appetite leaving with her.

Bryte has been one of my closest friends, just like Annalise. Annalise had already left the pack before I found Logan. Bryte was there when I met Logan, when I was ecstatic about it, when I learnt who he truly was, when I lost myself to him, when he promised me that no one would believe he was the devil's incarnate, until I wasn't sure anymore how to act around Bryte and did the only thing I knew how; ignore her.

It's been four years, two since Logan has been gone and I am still a coward. I wasn't the woman I was before. I am not kind, I am not sweet like Bryte. Bryte, reminds me of my former self, the innocent version of me, that I both crave and loathe. Bryte stuck in my crisis, which isn't fair on her.

I still didn't have friends, an alpha with pack members who cared for her, but not a close friend. Bryte had gone out of her way to help me out, even when we have drifted apart from each other. She has always been kind and right now, I'm reminded of how amazing she is.  I didn't deserve her.

I sigh and place the tray on a small table by my bed and head to the shower. I dress up in a pair of sweatpants and a lose grey t-shirt. I valued comfort over style anytime.