1. First Rule of Living

To the wonderful cover designer of this stunning cover and fellow Vampire fan caramelitodemiel_ this is for you! 

+

"Were you in love?"

"We were happy enough." Daemon countered. "I have only ever truly loved one person." Daemon remarked softly and Rhaenyra had hoped that he would say her name.

"Who?" She asked innocently.

"Doesn't matter... shes long dead now." Daemon rasped.

Even after all this time all these years it still hurt to say her name.

"Daemon,'' Rhaenyra whispered reaching out for him.

''I fell in love.'' Daemon remarked. ''She died and we all move on.'' Daemon said through a shaky breath. ''Because I had to. Now i'm free again.'' Daemon declared pushing back the pain.

There was something so infuriating about watching the person you love move on. When daemon married rhae royce against his will. Beka was crushed. It hadnt been so long after their own union. She couldnt trust herself around him. Not as she was.

She watched him from afar for so long. She pretended like she was apart of his life that way. But now she was feeling confident in herself and her control and he had been over the narrow seas for 10 years. Married and had kids.

Beka wanted to see him to talk to him. She stared at him from the cliffside listening to him chuckle at his wife's funeral.

Daemon was of fire. Rebekah Mikaelson was of blood.

She kept thinking maybe he would notice but the more she watched him the more nervous she got. He thought her dead after all. Then she saw him walk off with Rhaenyra and Bekas confidence wavered. He had moved on time and time again while her heart still ached for the man he used to be.

She was going to leave to never look back when she saw Aemond. His broken face mirrored her own.

''Whats wrong little dragon?" Beka asked kneeling in front of Aemond.

''Im scared.'' Aemond whispered.

''Of what?'' Beka brushed his hair from his eyes. Aemond glanced off to the beaches.

''Vhagar. She is here. I want a dragon more than anything.'' Aemond told her. ''But I'm scared.'' Beka chuckled as her hands slid down his arms.

''What are you afraid of?'' Aemond asked. He had never seen Beka before but she looked like someone important, she was here after all at Laena's funeral. But she was far too young and too pretty to be one of Daemon's friends. Aemond thought as Beka grabbed his hands in hers.

''Falling in love.'' Beka answered softly

''Why is that scary?'' Aemond countered. At 10, the idea of was love wasnt really a thought for him. He knew that Aegon and Helaena were matched and there was no love there, he figured his time would come and he would secure a match for political purposes as well one day.

''Because we all die and love fades and promises of forever and always.... Always and forever are broken.'' Beka admitted. Aemond stared back at her a moment longer.

"Who are you?" Aemond whispered his voice getting lost in the waves.

"Beka," she answered simply.

"I'm Aemond." Beka knew who he was, the silver hair and violet eyes was a dead give away also that she kept tabs on the royal family over the years.

''So nice to meet you Aemond," Beka told him as she stood up. "You want to know something, really important Aemond?"

"Sure." Aemond agreed confused.

"The first rule of living is to do the thing you are most afraid of.'' Beka informed him. ''Lets get you a dragon.''

''

+

"I am sorry.'' Rhaenyra said softly as she glanced to Daemon, still so handsome, still the man she loved first and yet she would never be his first love. His last perhaps she thought as she moved to block his path.

''Don't be. I am at least allowed to mourn my losses.'' Daemon reminded her and Rhaenyra brought a hand up to his face. ''Rhaenyra.'' Daemon warned.

''I'm no longer a child. I want you.'' Rhaenyra begged her lips colliding with his. As they pulled at each others clothes, finding comfort in each others touch.

"Biggest dragon known to mankind." Beka remarked as Aemond held to her hand. "Be brave." Beka whispered kissing his cheek.

"What if she eats me?" Aemond countered.

"Then it was nice knowing you Aemond Targaryen." Beka mused Aemond stared up at her.

"First rule of living." Beka repeated.

"Do the thing you are most afraid of." Aemond finished as he took a step forward.