ONE

A L Y S S A

"Open up your eyes, shut your mouth and see, that I'm still the only one who's been in love with me. I'm just happy getting you stuck in between my teeth, and there's nothing I can do about it."

. . .

I'm going to kill someone one of these days.

I know it. Because some people are too stupid to be let loose into the world.

At this point, it's natural selection doing its thing if I take matters into my own hands and strangle someone.

Because fuck, doing something as simple as ordering a coffee is too difficult for some people.

"Uh, there are different types of coffee?" the dumbass in front of me asks the cashier behind the counter, scratching his head as he stares up at all the different options.

"Yes, as displayed on the board," the cashier replies and motions behind her.

The man standing in front of me tilts his head to the side. "Oh, you guys sell tea as well?" he asks, scrunching his nose up. "If I take a mint tea, will you put sugar in it, too?"

I visibly roll my eyes behind him and shake my head, counting to ten in my head to compose myself.

I can't risk going to jail over coffee. I can't.

You can't, Alyssa.

This man just spent seven minutes in line, having had all the time in the world to inspect all the different options but he decides to only ponder what he's going to take now?

I've never been good at having patience. Something my dad likes to tease me about. Yes, I have a short temper, but doing things the quick way is the most efficient way.

To handle things fast and easily. To not waste more time than needed on an issue or any errand.

It needs to go fast. I thrive on that.

I also thrive on being able to quickly get some coffee and move forward in this line.

"Do you guys have a soft blend?"

My teeth grit together and I hold back a harsh sigh from escaping my lips.

"Or is the medium blend a better option?"

I will actually lose my shit.

But then, it's like the angels from heaven smiled down at me when another worker opens up the stand next to the cashier and asks for the next customer in line.

Scurrying over the dumb fuck, I go to the other worker and let out a sigh of relief.

"Hi, how may I help you today?" she asks kindly and I ask her for a black coffee and a latte with almond milk.

"Name?"

"Alyssa."

"Noted, your orders will be ready soon."

I go to wait in line for my drinks after I paid, glancing back and seeing the guy who was in front of me finally paying for whatever the fuck he chose.

I send a quick text to Matteo, telling him that I'm waiting on our coffees and am meeting him at his dorm soon.

The coffee shop is getting busier and busier, and the sound of people talking and waiting in line increases by the minute.

"Order for Alyssa!"

I move toward the counter, where my two orders are waiting for me.

A shadow moves in front of me, crossing my path by accident. Looking up, my eyes meet dark brown ones.