THIRTEEN

A L Y S S A

"If I can't have you, no one should. I might, I might kill my ex. Not the best idea. His new girlfriend's next, how'd I get here?"

. . .

"You promise to call or text every day?" mom asks, watching me put the last pieces of clothing away in my suitcase.

"Yes, mom," I assure her for the hundredth time.

"And you'll be home right before Christmas?"

"I will be."

"This cabin of Tess... where is it exactly located?"

"Mom!" I groan and throw my head back. When I look at her again, she shrugs and gives me her innocent eyes.

"Just concerned, is all. Let me give you a few bottles of wine and I'll give you money to get some sweets as a thank-you gift for her parents," she says.

I told her a little lie that I'm going away with Tess and her family for the holidays. She would never let me go if she knew it was Matteo's family, instead.

After putting everything in the suitcase, I zip it up and haul it off my bed.

"I need you to be careful on this trip," mom tells me.

"Don't worry mom, I'm a grown girl," I grin and accept the hug she's offering me. "Questionable, but sure," she chuckles and presses a kiss on top of my head.

I say bye to dad and they both wave me goodbye when I step into the elevator.

The last thing mom warns me about as the doors close, is; "Don't do things that I would do."

The Uber driver doesn't make any small talk on the way to Matteo's house

The Uber driver doesn't make any small talk on the way to Matteo's house. Even as I try, he's just curt and gives the road all his attention.

This leaves me to my own thoughts, and my mind starts to wonder about things, and the nerves are starting to creep up on me.

I didn't let Matteo know anything and decided to catch him by surprise. I don't know what his reaction will be.

I don't know what he told his family after I rejected the offer. I'll just have to make the best of it and rely on my instincts, which are telling me that Matteo shut his mouth up.

He told me that his family is going to gather at his house first, before going to the airport.

When the car pulls up on the right street, I get out and get my suitcase out of the trunk.

"Now, on to this fucking holiday," I mutter and start my way the Moreno's house.

I didn't know what to expect upon nearing their home and having eyes on their front door, but this wasn't it.

There in the door opening stand Matteo and his mom, and right in front of them, Charlie with her own fucking suitcase.

Matteo's mother, Alicia, seems a tad bit confused when seeing the person who used to be my friend.