TWELVE

A L Y S S A

"I've been on my worst behavior, and baby I don't need no savior, I'm way outta line."

. . .

"Tell your mother I worship the ground she walks on," I groan, greedily taking some more msemen on my plate that Zainab brought home.

Msemen is a thick, Moroccan type of pancake that exists out of layers. Sometimes, it comes stuffed with meat and vegetables.

Other times, like now, it comes as it is and you decide what to eat with it.

Which, in my case, is some cream cheese and I drizzle honey over it.

"I will let her know like I always do," Zai says and rolls her eyes, enjoying some food as well. She pops an olive in her mouth and rips a piece of Turkish bread.

We're both drinking some sweet tea that accompanies our breakfast.

"Now, you owe me at least ten homemade pizzas made by your dad," Zainab says.

"I'll tell him," I assure her, too blissed out to care about anything else but the food that's in front of me.

"So, you haven't changed your mind about the trip?" Zainab asks, frowning.

I shake my head. "No, I think this could be fun. I'll make sure Matteo suffers on the trip."

"Didn't expect anything less from you," she snorts. "Your life is like a show, and I'm just watching it all unfold."

"Glad to know my life amuses you," I respond dryly, and she grins at me.

After breakfast, I decide to get ready to head home. Tonight, I'll be expecting Ashley at my place.

We've texted a lot this past week and even met up quickly for coffee.

"Give your mother lots of kisses," I tell Zainab and pass her in the hallway, where she's putting on her hijab.

"Will do," she replies and smiles when I hug her goodbye.

"See you Sunday evening, idiot."

"See you, sahbeti."

When I get home, Valentina is in the living room, waiting on Dante

"What are the plans, Val?" I ask her and plop down on the couch next to her.

"We're just g-going to the movies," she answers. "What are your plans?"

"Just hanging out with a friend," I say.

Mom and dad are out to have dinner, and knowing them, they'll probably stay out late. Mom tends to take dad on weird trips.

And he always goes along with it.

"Who are you..." Valentina starts to ask but gets interrupted by another voice joining us.

"YOU!"