TWENTY-ONE

A L Y S S A

"She's an angel, only angel. She's an angel, my only angel."

. . .

"So, you're telling me you went on a holiday trip with this man and didn't sleep with him?"

Zainab looks at me, unimpressed.

"We did kiss though?" I answer, and now her eyebrows raise.

"There's no way."

I nod, grinning. "We totally did. And it was amazing. He backed off immediately after with some bullshit excuse about what we're doing is wrong and all that."

"Why can't men make up their minds?" Zainab sighs and shakes her head. "Anything else?"

"Let me tell you about the massage he gave me. And the last day, at the table–"

"Oh, there he is," Zainab cuts me off, and I glance behind me.

We're standing outside the cafeteria, catching up and waiting on Dante to join us for lunch. And now he's approaching us.

"Tell me everything later," Zai says.

"Hey Alyssa, Zainab," he greets us and wraps an arm around my shoulder. "I'm starving, let's head in."

"Hey," a new voice says, and we all turn around to see a girl approaching us. She has long black hair and thick bangs covering her forehead. Her lips are painted a bold red and her makeup is beautifully done.

"Hey Mel," Dante grins, and I look at him, surprised to see that he knows the girl. "Hi Dante," the girl smiles and looks at my best friend.

"You're Zainab, right?"

Zai nods and looks at the girl. "Aren't you in accounting with me?" she asks, and the girl nods.

"Yeah, I'm Melanie. I was wondering if I could join you for lunch? My friend kinda bailed on me."

"Of course, you can," Dante says and I nod along.

"I'm Alyssa," I introduce myself and smile at her, which she returns.

Melanie smiles at my brother, too, and I wonder where they know each other from. We walk inside, and spot Valentina already sitting at our usual table.

"Hey guys," she grins when we take a seat, and Melanie introduces herself once more.

Zai strikes up a conversation with Melanie and includes her in her chats, which doesn't surprise me. Zainab is always the one to make sure everyone feels good and comfortable.

Dante and Zainab are talking to Melanie, and Dante is his usual kind self and being attentive.

Doesn't surprise me either.

"Psst, Alyssa," Val whispers, and I look over at her. She scoots a bit closer to me. "I have a question."

"Shoot," I say and turn my attention to her.

"Well, there's this e-event I want to go to tonight. Dante can't join me because of homework, so... I was wondering if you'd like to a-accompany me?"

"Going by yourself is such a big problem?" I ask, and her eyes widen.

"A-alone? In public?"

It's as if the idea itself scares the shit out of her.

Before saying yes, I ask, "What is it?"

She didn't go into detail, and that's suspicious.

She bites her lip and fiddles with her fingers. "I need you to say yes before I tell you."