NINETEEN

A L Y S S A

"It's one step forward and three steps back. Do you love me, want me, hate me? Boy, I don't understand."

. . .

I wake up the next morning, with the burn of Roman's lips on mine. It could very well be that it was all a dream.

That what happened was a figment of my imagination.

I get out of bed, seeing that it's late in the morning, and walk around my room, stretching my legs before heading into the bathroom to freshen up.

Today is our last day at the cabin, and we'll be heading out soon. Pulling my sweatpants over my ass, I eye myself in the mirror and turn around, noting the way they sit around my ass and hips.

If Matteo and I were still together, I know he would've said something.

But, we're not, so I don't have to worry about him.

Putting on a tight-fitting shirt, I go downstairs and see everyone setting up the table for a late breakfast.

"Just in time, Alyssa, I was about to tell Matteo to go wake you up," Alicia greets me when I walk into the kitchen.

My eyes meet Matteo's from across the room, and he sends me an awkward wave.

"Yeah, I could smell the food," I chuckle. I look at Matteo and see his eyes on my clothes.

I know he would've said something about it if I was his girlfriend, and when he looks into my eyes, I quirk a brow. Daring him to say something.

But he just swallows and takes a sip of his coffee, knowing that he should shut up.

I walk over to the coffee machine and start it up, desperate for a cup of coffee.

While waiting on the bitter goods, my mind trails off to last night and the feeling of Roman's fingers buried in my hair as he guided my mouth with his.

Tingles run up my spine and I crave to feel it all over again.

"Slept well?" comes a voice from beside me, and to my disappointment, it's Matteo.

"Yeah, I slept fine," I reply, and because his mother is in the room, I ask out of politeness how his night was.

"I fell out of my bed again," Matteo laughs lowly, and it immediately brings back a memory of the first few nights we slept together.

Matteo had let go of me in his sleep and rolled over, slamming down on the floor and when I looked over to the ground, he continued to sleep with his mouth ajar.

I hauled him back onto the bed after waking him up. He was confused and fell back asleep instantly.

He'd told me the next morning I was crazy when I recounted everything.

Now, a chuckle leaves me without me intending to do so.

"Dumbass," I snort without thinking twice about it, and the first genuine smile cracks across Matteo's face.

"You didn't believe me at first," I continue and pour my cup of coffee.

Matteo grabs the sugar and puts it on the kitchen island, knowing I like some sweetness sometimes with my coffee.

"I know, but then I woke up on the floor one day and realized," he grins, fiddling with the chain around his neck.

"It was about time," I reply, not being able to help the amused smile on my face.

A throat clearing from the doorway of the kitchen has me pulling my attention away, and my heart nearly stops beating when I see that Roman has entered the room, his glare fixated on me and his brother.