FORTY-FIVE

A L Y S S A

"I've been waiting for someone like you, baby this time please don't be too good to be true."

. . .

I've been attempting to self-reflect lately. And even though my attempts at resolving things with Roman failed, there's still someone left whom I need closure with.

"You sure she's here?" I ask Zainab, and she makes an affirmative sound next to me.

"Yes, I see her every Thursday studying here."

Taking a deep breath, I nod and go inside. Zai follows me, but takes a seat on one of the couches and will wait there for me until I'm done.

Following her instructions, I go to the second floor and turn right, seeing a bunch of tables in between the bookshelves and immediately spot her.

Sitting there with her headphones on and staring at her laptop. When I see her again, a pang of pain slashes through me and I think of all the time we spent together, the sleepovers and dinner dates we went on, gossiping and confiding in one another.

Charlie looks somewhat different, she's cut her hair and died it a darker shade of red than she usually does, but that's about it.

And even though she wronged me, I still need to gather myself before I can approach her.

I take a few seconds to observe her, then decide to walk over and pull out the chair in front of her.

She looks up, and her eyes widen in horror as soon as she lays eyes on me.

There's disbelief in her eyes, as well as caution and she looks wary.

"Alyssa?" she whispers as if she can't believe I'm sitting in front of her. I tilt my head to the side and let my eyes go over her face, before looking back into her eyes.

"Hello, Charlie."

"I... you–" she stutters, and her fingers start shaking.

"Don't worry, I won't drag you by the hair," I assure her, "again."

She visibly swallows and looks nervous, fidgeting in her seat and glancing to the side. As if ready to shout for help.

I bite back my amusement.

"I'm here for one thing only," I begin and continue to stare at the girl who I thought was my friend.

"You're a horrible friend and person, Charlie. And you hurt me, more than you know. And I have hated and resented you for it."

She just continues to look at me, scared. As if she didn't tell the love of my life about my plan, to purposely break us up.

She still shits her pants when she looks at me, and it's both funny and hilarious at the same time.

"But, I've decided to move on with my life. And in order to do that, apparently, I need to let go of grudges."

Which is the worst, because I'm a champion at it.

Charlie is still speechless, but she's listening.

"And even though you never apologized for what you did, I forgive you. I forgive you for being a shitty friend. And truly, I feel bad for you for needing attention so badly, you're willing to look anywhere and take it from anyone. I hope you deal with your issues and get help."

The last part might've been somewhat petty, sue me.

With that, I stand up and leave a speechless Charlie behind. I can't help the elated smile that comes on my face, and it feels so good.