Chapter 14

It's Sunday night and that means it's the last night I'll be able to see my grandma before she leaves. We are eating a normal meal and like always Grandma has her red wine. Let's just say that the dinner is tense.

"Well, you know what your father wanted you to be. Doctors make a lot more money than construction workers." She reminded causing him to roll his eyes.

"Yes, mom but that's not what I wanted to be." He whined, setting his girl down beside his plate.

"I understand but all the construction workers are big doe-doe heads." She said making me laugh. My grandma just said doe-doe heads it's kinda hard not to laugh. Jay glared at me from across the table.

"Not all of them, just your son." I said softly. Grandma busted out laughing but Jay looked enraged.

"That was a good one." She said, taking a drink of her dark wine.

"I'm going to the bathroom." Jay announced, then left.

Grandma stood up to take her plate I the sink. "I'll take it." I told her.

"Oh, thank you. Jay would never have done this." She said, waddling over to the couch.

"No problem." I take the plates to the sink and then come back out to see grandma with her coat on and her purse on her arm.

"Goodbye Jay. I love you, gumdrop." She said pinching his cheeks.

"Yeah I love you too mom." He said, I think that's the first time I've heard him say I love you.

"Bye Reese, I'll see you next time I'm down. Love you." I hugged her. "Oh, and I love your outfit." She noted and then she left. I was wearing a grey tank top with "New York City" written on it in cursive black and a pair of jean shorts. You could still see the fingerprints on my arm but she never noticed.

As soon as the door had closed Jay turned to me with a strong glare. Then, he stomped off to the kitchen.

I knew his mom hadn't treated him the best while she was here but he was really mad. "You disgust me!" he sneered.

"I didn't do anything," I defended.

"You sucked up to my mom the entire time she was here. She treated you like an angel but I was just a piece of gum stuck to her shoe." He began to wash the dishes. Also known as slamming things around and sloshing water everywhere.

"Well you are her gumdrop." I trailed off and he growled. "It's not my fault! She treated you just fine Jay, that's just who she is. She made digs on me to." I said, walking up to the table.

"Not as much as me!" He exclaimed.

"What the hell happened to you?" I questioned harshly. He automatically stopped, completely frozen. He didn't move a muscle.

I mean seriously! His mom is so nice and funny, how'd he happen? I stood quietly by the table, expecting him to start yelling again. However, I was not expecting the damn frying pan to come flying at my face. I quickly put my hands up to block it and with a loud smack and a slight sting I caught it and threw it to the ground.

Then I moved to run out the door to prevent farther damage. I was almost to the basement when his large hands gripped my shoulders and slammed me up against the wall opposite the door. His hands went up to my throat and mine automatically went to his. He squeezed tightly as I thrashed at his hands. My vision was beginning to blur and darkness was closing in. My throat felt as if it was on fire. This is going to be it. Its all over now, I thought to myself. I gave it one last shot and with all my strength a kneed him hard. His face morphed into one of pain as his hands went down to his crotch and he melted to the ground.