Chapter 7

I open my eyes but my vision is blurry, so I blink furiously until it clears. I'm upside down in a car. I look to my right and in the drivers side is my mom. There's lots of blood and I know it's not mine.

Her head is bleeding and she's passed out. I go to shake her shoulder but as soon as my fingers touch her skin I pull away. She's cold, somethings terribly wrong. I feel a sharp pain in my leg and I look down. I close my eyes at the sight.

A large piece of glass sticks up from my left thigh and it's surrounded by blood. My window is shattered so I unbuckle my seat belt and begin to climb out. With my hands on the door of the car I push myself out in my upside down position. I see a road up the hill as I sit in the ground, in the dark. I stand up using the car to steady myself, and hobble up to the road.

I reach the top and look down to my leg in the street light. I put my hands on the glass and hiss as I slowly rip it out. The warm blood runs down my leg and I throw the glass to the ground. I look up to see headlights in the distance. Relived, I make my way to the center of the road and put my hands up to wave them down. Luckily, the car pulls over to the side of the road.

I begin to walk over and my knees are becoming weak as I do so. The cars door opens and a person hurries out and slams the door shut, running over to me. I stand there in the dark with my head down as the person reaches me. "Are you okay?" The person asks. It's a guys voice, it's low and quite familiar actually.

I look up and my eyes lock with blue similar ones.

"Reese?" Graham asks. my breathing is heavy and I blink slowly. I feel light-headed.

I point down the hill and we both look over. My moms car is upside down, the front is smashed, the windshield is shattered, and the passengers window is broken with glass lying around it on the ground. To say our car is demolished is an understatement. A little below my car is a grey truck lying on it's side. Graham's sharp intake of breath is enough to snap me out of my daze.

My mom is down there in that car and she's hurt, if not dead, I need to help her. My eyes widen in realization as I begin to walk down the hill. I get about four steps before his hand is wrapped around my arm.

I turn to look at him and he's just shaking his head. "My moms down there, let me go." I plead.

"What can you do? Just stay here and call for an ambulance," he reasons.

"I don't have my phone," I say. If I don't get down there soon she's going to die, if she hasn't already.

"I do, come here." He pulls me to his car.

"No I need to h-help my mom," I stutter breathlessly and move away from him. "She's hurt and-" My knees give in and I close my eyes, letting out a breath as I fall. I feel a pair of strong arms wrap around my waist before I hit the ground. I'm lifted up slowly to my feet again.

"Can you stand?" Graham questions his arms still holding me tight.

"Yeah I'm fine," I mumble and he lets go, watching me warily. I stumble and automatically his arms are around me again.

"Sure you are," he says. He puts one of his arms under mine, across my back. Then the other around the back of my knees as he lifts me up and carries me bridal style to his car, placing me in the passenger seat as he climbs into the drivers.

He pulls out his phone and dials 911.
"911, what's your emergency?"

"There's been an accident," I listen as Graham explains what he knows.

I feel as if I'm floating and sharp pains shoot up and down my left leg. I put my hand over the wound and apply pressure to try and stop the bleeding. It's not that bad, I've had worse but it still hurts. It stings as I touch it and my breath becomes shaky.