Chapter 23

Once I got to the hospital, I found out that one of my ribs were cracked and the cut from before needed stitches. They gave me pain medication and some bandages. Andy drove us back to Adrienne's house and we went to sleep after she forced me to take the medication. I can handle the pain. I mean, yes it hurts but I've taken it this long. I think I can handle a little while longer. Besides, I've had worse.

In the morning, Adrienne decided to wake me up. "Reese," she yelled into my ear.

"What?" I asked softly setting up from my place on the floor. "What time is it?"

"Five," she replies simply.

"You let me sleep until five?" I asked in bewilderment. She laughed a little and I noticed the darkness in the room. There was no way the sun had set already.

"It's five in the morning." She notified with a chuckle. I glared in her direction and she just laughed.

"Why would you commit such a sin?" I asked playfully. She tugged me out of bed in a fit of giggles and down the stairs. She made breakfast. Too bad she decided to do that now and not at ten. "What's all this for?"

There was a large stack of pancakes. Knowing I love tea, there was a big pitcher of it. Butter and syrup were towards the middle and there was a plate of bacon beside them. "This is my apology breakfast." She said lowering her head.

"Why would you need to apologize?" I asked, completely confused. She sighed sitting down at the table.

"I didn't even notice your bruises." She looked so upset.

"Yes you did, I showed you and you said I needed to go to the hospital." I defended shaking my head slightly at her.

"You were being abused and I didn't notice. I was never there for you and then last night that happened." She pointed to my stomach.

"Where were you last night?" I asked and she just smiled, already knowing what I'm getting at. "You were with me because I needed you. You were there for me. You're one of my best friends. I know I can count on you and Cameron for anything. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you until now but I was afraid." I explained and she looked confused and overjoyed.

"Afraid of what?" She asked tilting her head.

"Afraid that if he found out I told anyone he would hurt me more. Afraid that if I told you," I paused and looked up at her. "You would think less of me," I admitted.

She brought me in for a hug. "I could never think any less of you. You are so brave it's actually kind of ridiculous sometimes." She said making both of us laugh. "Now we need to eat."

We ate over half of the pancake stack, drank all the tea, and saved most of the bacon for Cameron since we both know he will be over later. "We have school today, don't we?" I question Adrienne.

She gives me a look of dread as we clean up the kitchen. I clean up the counter while she washed the dishes. "We should get ready."

After we take our showers and what not, we get our bags and walk to school. Once we arrive at school I see Graham standing at the door. Just standing there. Bags under his eyes and he looks like he hasn't slept in days. Worry and stress were etched on his face as he scanned the crowd of people going to enter the building.

When he saw me he tried to make his way over to me. He pushed through the people and finally he was standing in front of me. "We need to talk," he breathed. I nodded to Adrienne, telling her to go into the school. She walks away and Graham sighs. Eventually, the school entrance was empty except for Graham and I. "I'm sorry, let me explain." He exasperated.