Chapter 6

I can see that Jay's knuckles are beginning to turn white while holding on to the neck of the beer bottle. My eyes widen a little in fear.

He scrunched his nose up. Then he picked his hand up and threw the glass bottle of Budweiser to the ground. The glass shatters and falls down the steps, a couple pieces reaching the step above me.

He walked down until he was in front of me. I couldn't move or breath. I just stood there watching him, like an idiot. He was towering over me with a scowl on his face. "You are loud," he growled at me.

"You weren't sleeping." I said with an emotionless expression.

"I was in the bathroom and I was just going back to the bedroom to sleep but now I'm wide awake, thanks to you." His voice becomes louder with each word.

"Well I'll try to be quiet from now on okay?" I said, a little snippy.

"Don't be smart with me!" Jay grabs my shoulders and slams me into the front door. My breathing is staggered as my back hits the door.

Currently, my back is still a little bruised but it's a lot better and it doesn't even hurt anymore. Maybe it'll be gone be next week.

"I'm not being smart. It's not my fault you're mentally challenged." I spat, "you know people can help you with that, you're not alone, it's okay." I continue feigning care.

His eyes narrow into slits and his nostrils flare with anger. Then, he lets me go with one last push to the door. I thought he was done, I thought I was safe, I thought wrong.

Just as I took a breath, which I must have been holding. He smirks, oh no. His fist, that were balled tightly, collided with my lower rib and I swear I heard something crack. Pain shoots up my front and my stomach swirls. I groan in agony and clutch my stomach as I buckle over to the floor. My eyes begin to tear from the pain but I will not cry, especially not in front of him. I slowly get to my feet staring daggers into him as I do so.

He looked a little shocked, his eyes no longer returning my glare. I'm having trouble breathing but I'm positive nothing's broken. I've had broken bones before and it felt a lot worse than this, so I'm fine. He takes a moment before grabbing a hand full of my hair and ripping my head back.

"Don't ever talk back to me again and don't even bother standing up for yourself, it'll get you in even more trouble." My step dad sneers. "You disgust me. Just clean this up!" He commands in a sharp tone, releasing my hair and stepping over the shards of glass as he walks up the stairs, rounds the corner, and enters his room. I sigh in return and begin to pick up the pieces of the broken bottle.

I go up stairs after hours of scanning the steps for anymore glass and just leaving the little spot of wet beer at the top of the steps, I'll clean that up later.

I can't just keep taking this. it's ridiculous!

I walk to my room and lie in my bed that's pushed up against the wall farthest from the door. My dark brown dresser at the foot of my bed has a picture of my mom, aunt, and me. I move over to the picture and hold it to my chest before moving back to my bed. I take my ear buds and play some Shinedown. If You Only Knew blasts into my ears. I can hear a faint sound over my music but I ignore it at first, it became more annoying but the second so I take out my ear buds with a forceful jerk.

"I told you I was at work!" My moms voice yells.

"No you weren't, you were probably messing around with some guy. You must think I'm stupid." My step dad's voice booms. They do this all the time, he accuses my mom of cheating and she denies it and they keep screaming until it stops and usually it stops because he hits her or he throws something or she does, it's just tiring.