1. "I Can Dream About You"

⚠️TW: rape, sexual content, language

You feel the burning sensation of dirty nails leaving crescent moon shapes into the delicate skin of your inner wrists. The labored , frenetic breathing—hot and deafening—on your ear, coming from the deep and threatening voice of a stranger. The raw sting you feel between your thighs makes you feel like you want to crawl out of your skin; but not as much as the anxiety you feel in your chest, making it hard to breathe. The feeling of being trapped here on this bed that reeks of old sweat and cigarettes make you want to scream until your throat feels like glass. Only you can't. You're too scared to make a sound. This is what they must mean when they talk about "fight, flight or freeze." Guess it's good to know which one you'd do, you think.

"You feel so fucking good," the voice breaths into your ear as a lock of his curly hair brushes against your cheek. You can smell stale beer and weed on his breath. The only thing you can think about is how you want to shut off every part of you to this experience. Your eyes, to the sight of the peeling paint of the ceiling above. Your ears, to the sound of his belt buckle near his ankles, quickly and rhymically clanging at every invasive thrust into you. Your skin, to the cold and clammy feeling of sweat from his forehead against your cheek as he continues his brutal and unrelenting assault. Your most intimate part of you, to the part of him that had no right to take this precious moment away from you in such a reckless and unfeeling way.

You awake with a gasp. You feel the short tendrils of hair around your face sticking to your forehead as you roll over and let out a shaky exhale. Taking quick inventory on what's real and what's not, you realize you are safe, alone in your bed. It's not really happening. He's not really here.

At least not this time. At least not today.

Author's Note: I literally haven't written fiction in like 15 years. I'm a nonfiction self help author so this is out of my wheelhouse. I'm also super busy with two jobs and a toddler so I apologize in advance for short chapters I write in the short windows of free time I get! Hope you still enjoy!