47. "Pass the Dutchie"

Seventh period was always the hardest because that was the period that you had to face Jason. Every single day.

Luckily, Eddie was in that class with you, and he never let you walk there alone. He'd always meet you by your locker and hold your hand tight as you walked through the classroom door and into your seat.

The week before prom, and Ms. O'Donnell was talking something about "A Doll's House," when Principal Higgins knocks politely on the classroom door before coming in, scanning the room for someone.

"Mr. Carver," he says, face imperceptible. "Could you please come with me?"

Jason looks back to his buddy sitting next to him, and you catch the quizzical look on his face, his eyebrows knitted together. He turns back to Higgins, a smile plastered on his face. "Uh, sure, Principal Higgins," he says brightly, with a forced laugh.

You can't help but wonder if it somehow has to do with you, but you don't see how it could...

************************

"Did you hear?" Stacy says, her voice as smooth as vanilla, linking her arm with yours while she swayed her hips next to you, getting into lock step as you walked down the hall at the end of another long and tedious school day.

"Hear about what?" you ask, playing dumb, but you're pretty sure you know it'll have to do with Jason.

"Jason. Principal Higgins got a tip that they found weed in his locker this morning. A lot of it. Like...he'll probably to jail," she leans in closer, whispering conspiratorially.

Although the idea of him behind bars is basically your dream, you shake your head, "No, he's 17 still. He was always young for our grade. They wouldn't put away a minor. Although, trust me, I wish he weren't so they could lock his ass up."

"Well I heard Coach White kicked him off the basketball team. His last season on the team is o-ver. Jason is steaming. Honestly, I think that's the best justice of all. Hit him where it really hurts," she growls, shaking her fist in the air.

"Something doesn't add up though. Jason is all about living life by the word of God," you say, rolling my eyes. "Last I checked, he didn't smoke at all. And even if he started, I don't see him having 'a lot' of weed in his locker, at school."

"Look," Stacy says, softer now, turning to face you as you reach your car. "We also didn't think he'd be capable of aiding and abetting a rape...and yet here we are."

You sigh; she has a point. But you can't help but add, "Aiding and abetting? You're watching too many episodes of 'Murder, She Wrote'..." before you get to your Beetle. You dig into your messenger bag, looking for your keys, but can't seem to find them. As you continue to search... you notice them on the passenger seat of the car.

"Fuck," you mumble. How the hell did you lock the keys in the car?

As you start to think about which teacher might have a copy of the yellow pages to call a tow truck, you feel a presence coming behind you.

"Usually you have to get into the car to get it to run. Although you seem to know how to rev an engine already," Eddie purrs, wiggling his eye brows suggestively.

"Ugh, Eddie, thank God," you say, still giving him a playful hit. "I fucking locked my keys in my car," you say, gesturing toward the car.

"Oh that's no problem at all, princess," he says, digging his hand into his jeans pocket to reveal a Swiss Army knife. He bends down to the keyhole and within seconds, the lock in the car has been popped, and he's swinging the door open.

"That's about the only good thing I learned from my dad...how do pick a lock," he laughs awkwardly, rubbing the back of his head with the hand that's not on the door.

"Wow, Eddie, that was impressive," you laugh, shaking your head, until you come to a realization. "That...Eddie...where were you this morning? I didn't see you with the Hellfire crew like I normally do..."

"I skipped first," he replies, a little too quickly.  "Needed to study for my stats test that I had fourth today."

Now you know he's lying.

"Eddie," you whisper, pulling him closer by the leather jacket sleeve. "Did you have anything to do with Jason today?"

"What thing with..." he tries to begin, until you give him "the look."  He sighs, lips in a tight line, shaking his curls. "Look, you were going to give up. I wasn't going to let him get away without getting punished."

"But Eddie, he didn't do what they're accusing him of..."

"Yeah, well, as far as I'm concerned, his current punishment doesn't even come close to making up for what he did... but I'll take it as a first step," he says, eyes hard.

"What if they find out it was you?" you say, looking into the sweet cocoa of his eyes. Eddie was SO close to graduating. Just a few more weeks...

"They won't," Eddie says, sweetly cupping your chin in his hands. "No one else saw me. We're going to be okay."