40. "Shadows of the Night"

"That...was a lot of fun," Stacy says, shaking her head as she drives you back to you house.

"It was," you smile back. And it was. You felt so blessed to have great friends who cared about you, stood up for you, included you. But of course, Stacy picks up on the tone of your voice.

"Can't help but notice you making a beeline for the gym doors after dancing with Steve..." she says, looking into the rearview mirror. "Munson outside?"

"Yeah..." you say quietly, leaning your head against the headrest and turning to look at Stacy. "How did you know?"

"I can't think of any other reason you'd stop dancing with the King of Hawkins High so quickly and subject yourself to the cold in that dress."

You laugh. "Yeah, he...he wanted me to let him stay at my place tonight. And until we figure out what to do about Billy."

"Aaaaand...?" Stacy draws out.

"I told him he didn't want me," you chew on your bottom lip and shrug. "I told him he's either in or out."

"Y/N..." Stacy says softly. "I'm not an expert in
love or anything...but that boy loves you."

"That's what Steve said, too," you say quietly, twisting your hands in your lap.

"You didn't see him after you bitch slapped him at Lucas' party...he was beside himself when he realized what he had said and how badly he misread the situation. The idea that he may have screwed things up with you for good that night rattled him hard. He made mention of not wanting to be his father....I don't know exactly what that's about except what I've heard through gossip and, you know, the Hawkins Post police blotter...but I think he's just his own worst enemy, Y/N. He loves you...and I think it terrifies him. He's not the insane freak we all thought he was. Turns out that the freak is actually a deeply sensitive soul who is putting up walls to protect himself from the small-mindedness of this town."

"Jesus..." you breathe.

"I'm thinking of going to college for psychology," Stacy gives a cheesy smile.

You give a genuine laugh. "You damn well should....that feels pretty spot on. And again, Steve said something similar, which I know he wouldn't just say if he didn't believe it."

"I think both of you need to put the walls down. You have to be willing to let him in. And he has to be willing to take the risk of loving you and losing you. That's what we all do, right? We take the risk...It's really why I don't," Stacy says quietly before clearing her throat to resume her usual bravado. "But you know...I'm working on it. I'm a work in progress."

You let out a long breath. "You're right... But I've already told him to stay out of it. What am I supposed to do now?"

It was Stacy's turn to laugh. "Do you honestly think Munson is going to listen? Does that boy listen to anything he's told to do?"

You just give a small smile, hoping she's right.

**********************

As you change into your blue silk pajama top and shorts, you think more about what Robin and Steve said. Could it really be that what Eddie was doing actually didn't have anything to do with how he felt about you? That maybe your own insecurities only made you think he didn't want you?

 Could it really be that what Eddie was doing actually didn't have anything to do with how he felt about you? That maybe your own insecurities only made you think he didn't want you?