33. "867-5309/Jenny"

You make your way to Scoops Ahoy after school, knowing Steve always works on Wednesday afternoons until close.

"Hey!" he says, leaning over the counter. "What can I do ya for? Mint chocolate chip? Extra rainbow sprinkles?

"No..." you pause, looking up in consideration, "actually, yes. But also...I have a favor...It's going to seem weird and I'm going to ask that you don't ask questions..."

"Okayyyy," he says, giving you a side eye as he turns to grab the ice cream scooper from it's container of warm water. "Exactly what am I about to get myself, into Y/L/N?"

"So it has to do with Nancy..." you pause, biting your lip, waiting for him to shut you down right then and there at the mention of her name. You know Nancy is kind of a delicate subject for Steve. They had just started dating and, poor Steve, any time he actually really liked a girl, it never seemed to pan out. It's like he was King Steve, royalty of Hawkins High, but only according to all the girls in the school he wasn't interested in.

"Go on," he says hesitantly, scooping the ice cream but keeping his eyes locked on yours.

"I just...I just need her phone number."

"Listen, Y/N I know you're really upset about Munson and all but Nancy's taken; if you want to swing the other way, you might want to call Robyn."

"You know," you hear Robyn call out from the backroom. "Just because I like girls doesn't mean I like all girls. No offense, Y/N!"

"None taken!" you crane your neck over Steve's head and shout back with a smile. You turn back toward Steve, softening your voice. "No...um...I need her...journalism skills for a...research assignment."

"A research assignment, huh?" he leans in smirking, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Jesus fucking Christ, Steve. I don't want to make out with Nancy," you say impatiently, gritting through your teeth. "And you promised you weren't going to ask questions."

Steve straightens, clearing his throat. "Right. Sorry. Sure, Y/N. Can I at least ask if everything is okay?"

"Yeah," you sigh, bounding on your toes anxiously. "Yeah...I think it's going to be."

Still suspicious of your intentions, he turns around and grabs a pen from the back drawer and rips a piece of receipt paper from the machine. He scrawls Nancy's phone number, folds it and hands it over.

"Maybe you also want to say some nice things about me to her? Just remind her how lucky she is to date me?" he asks, eyes darting around nervously with a small smile poking through.

You roll your eyes

You roll your eyes. "You're pathetic. But I also love you," you say, pulling him by the uniform over the counter so you can give him a hug.

"Yeah, yeah. Love you, too," he says, wrapping his arms right around you, giving your back a quick rub. "Let me know how it all works out."