48. "Back to the Wall*

You feel like you're on pins and needles for the rest of the day. You have a horrible feeling things are going to go sideways. Jason now knows someone set him up. You feel the hair on the back of your neck refuse to stop sticking up. You keep finding yourself taking deep breaths to calm down. You don't want to tell anyone else about Eddie's admission because the less people know, the better.

You stay after school because Stacy needs a ride after her prom committee meeting. You tuck yourself on the floor next to your locker in the empty hallway, working on an essay for O'Donnell, legs pulled up, notebook propped against your thighs.

You hear footsteps coming closer from the perpendicular hallway, the hallway from the gymnasium

You hear footsteps coming closer from the perpendicular hallway, the hallway from the gymnasium. You look up out of curiosity but immediately feel your blood run cold when you see it's Jason and Coach Fein. Jason has the contents of his gym locker in his arms, a bundle of equipment and his varsity jacket.

He locks eyes with you, and the fire in his eyes ignited, jaw grinding against itself. And then something that sends a shiver down your spine: a smile.

"Don't think I don't know what your boyfriend did," he shouts down the hall, ignoring Coach's hand on Jason's shoulder, ushering to keep moving toward the exit, clearly not interested in what he's saying to you. "Don't think you both won't pay for this!"

 "Don't think you both won't pay for this!"

You don't respond. Your voice won't work. Your back feels glued to the cold locker behind you. Fuck.

What did Jason plan on doing? How could he prove it was Eddie? Was Eddie as careful as he thinks he was?

After that, you find it hard to concentrate on motif analysis. You keep checking your watch and looking down the hall toward the direction of where Stacy would be walking.

Finally after another 20 minutes, which may as well have been 20 hours, you see Stacy turn the corner, the opposite direction from where Jason had come from, sauntering down the hallway.

Before she gets to you, you scramble to gather your things so you can leave as soon as possible and tell Eddie. She sees the rigid way your face is set as you approach her. "What's up?" she says, her brows coming together in concern.