31. "Another Brick in the Wall"

"So can someone please explain to me what happened in the cafeteria?" Principal Higgins asks patiently, folding his hands together and placing them on his wood desk.

You are seated between Eddie and Jason. You can see Eddie's knee bouncing nervously up and down. This is the last place he needs to be if he wants to graduate. And Jason of course pipes up first, leaning forward like he's talking to a colleague and he and Higgins are both on the same team to neutralize to neutralize any threat to the peace of Hawkins High. Dick.

"I was hoping you could tell me the same thing," Jason sighed, as if he wants to know the source of the unjust greeting he received by you in the cafeteria. "I was having lunch with the team and all of a sudden Y/N is yelling my name and shoving me.."

"That's bull..." you catch yourself under the warning eye of Higgins. "That's not the whole story and you know it. Don't pretend that you don't know exactly why I want to..." she stops herself again.

"Because I kissed you? I'm sorry Y/N, I...I thought you liked me too and I just...can't blame a guy for trying right?" He shrugs good-naturedly at Higgins.

Eddie jerks his body in his seat to look past you to Jason. "Really? Is that what that was?"

"I mean, maybe I read her wrong but...it seemed like she liked it to me..." he looks Eddie in the eyes, a smirk pulling on one side of his mouth. He looked back at Higgins, shrugging. "Love makes you do crazy things, I guess."

"Unbelievable," you murmur rolling your eyes. What you really want to do is dive out of your chair and break his nose, but you know the situation is fragile for Eddie. For you, a student who'd never had an altercation, it would be a slap on the wrist. Jason had a few over the years, but mommy dearest was on the board of education and would get him out of it. It would be different for Eddie...

"That's enough," Higgins said, putting a hand up to silence them. "We're clearly not getting anywhere, so I'll be making a few phone calls this afternoon to home. I expect the three of you back in my office after the last bell. Now get to class," he says standing up out of his chair.

The three of you follow suit. Eddie goes first, you follow and as you make your way out the door, you hear Jason say to Higgins, "Thank you, sir, I look forward to clearing this mess up later."

You roll your eyes again. Who the fuck did Jason think he is? That he could just get away with everything. This is how it had been with everything. His teachers would be more gracious with grading because he needed to keep his grades up to play basketball. He got away with cheating on Chrissy, who deserved way better than that. And he got away with being an accessory to sexual assault. At least for now. If you had anything to do with it, you were going to make sure he paid for what he did to you.

But first, you needed to figure out a way to get Eddie out of trouble this afternoon. And then you needed to get more answers from Chrissy.

You're so in your head about the plan that you don't even realize Eddie isn't following you to class; in fact he's walking in the opposite direction, out the front entrance of the school.

"Eddie!" you call out, jogging back in his direction. "Eddie, wait!"

"For what, Y/N?" he calls back, not breaking his stride. "For the end of the day where I'm going to be suspended? When Higgins tells me I can't walk at graduation? Fucking story of my life, Y/N, where people like Jason get what they want, where people like you get off scott-free, and people like me have to suffer the consequences of other people's actions."