30. Digging in the Dirt*

You burst back through the cafeteria doors so hard that they bounce off the walls behind them, the panes of glass rattling in their frames.

"YOU! JASON!" you shout, finger pointing straight at him. People in the room fall silent. Curious faces turn to watch you as you march past them. You don't even know what you're doing. All of a sudden you see red. Your whole body feels hot and you can hear the beating of your heart pounding in your ears.

He knows, he knows, he knows are the only words in your head, like a mantra. And not only did he know who raped you at his house, but he was also somehow involved. All this fucking time...

As you make a bee line toward Jason and his table of cronies, you don't even notice Eddie slowly stand up from your table...or the very concerned look on his face. Steve gets up, too. Eddie just recently saw that look before on you and it scared him to death. If he were being honest, he was downright scared in that moment, by not only the look on your face, but also for what was going to happen next or how he would have to intervene to keep you safe.

Jason stands up to face you as you approach. "Can I help you, Y/L/N?" he says, feigning a sense of concern.

"You fucking KNEW!" you seethe, screaming the last word, hot tears threatening to fall, blurring your vision. You shove him in the chest with both hands with all you have. Eddie's eyes go wide as Jason stumbles back, catching himself by grabbing a nearby table. You hear a series of gasps as the room becomes even more silent.

"Say it! Say you fucking knew! I want to hear you say it," you say through gritted teeth, letting the tears spill over. You want them gone so you can clearly see him admit what he'd done to you. How he had been an accessory to something--and someone-- that had ruined your life.

"Your party summer before freshman year. You knew who was...." your mouth becomes a hard line as your eyes dart side to side, suddenly aware of all the people in the room. You could say the words to Eddie but you couldn't bear to say what happened out loud in front of the whole fucking school.

"Y/N, as much as you think I'm obsessed with you, I honestly can't keep track of who you open your legs for. Sounds like you can barely keep track of that if you're asking me to..."

Jason is cut off by Eddie flying from behind you, breaking the spell of your blinding rage, and grabbing Jason roughly by his jacket.

"You sure you want to finish that sentence?" Eddie says through gritted teeth.

Jason just laughs. "I guess it wouldn't matter to you either way, trash. That whore is his an upgrade for you," he jerks his head in your direction.

Before Eddie can decide whether he'll bash Jason's face in or not, you grab his leather jacket-clad arm. "Eddie, please don't. You have to graduate. Please. I'm sorry I started this. Please." You see Eddie's profile and notice his jaw shaking from how hard he's gritting his teeth together.

"Yeah, Munson," Jason cocks his head to the side, as if he's observing Eddie like a painting in an art gallery. "I know they say three times a charm, but I have to say for you, it might be just too pathetic. Not that it matters," Jason bring his voice down to a whisper. "I'm sure you'll end up like daddy dearest either way."

You hear a low rumble erupt from Eddie's throat as he tightens his grip on Jason's jacket before throwing him backward, where he's caught by his buddies, who begin to take steps forward toward Eddie. Steve moves from behind the table to stand behind you and Eddie, signaling he'll jump in if he has to.

"Eddie, please, I can't breath in here, I need air," you plead desperately, tugging backward on his arm. You're beginning to feel sweat bead along the back of your neck. All this was too much.