34. "Somebody's Knocking"

You see Nancy pull her car into the parking lot of the library from your Beetle.

"Nancy!" you call from the car, waving her over

"Nancy!" you call from the car, waving her over. When she gets close, you lean over and open the passenger side door for her.

Nancy hesitantly sits next to you, although she has her signature kind smile on her face. "Hey, Y/N..." she cocked her head sympathetically. "How are you holding up?"

"Good...fine..." you nod. "How's...everything with Steve?" you ask, hating the awkward silence.

"Oh good...great!" she nods vigorously. She clears her throat. "So...what kind of research are we doing today?"

"Um..." you knew this was coming. You knew you had to tell her. You willingly sought Nancy out to tell her about this so she could help you. But it never seemed to get easier to tell the story.

You take a deep breath and tell her everything, fixing your eyes on the steering wheel the whole time. When you are done, you could feel Nancy's eyes on you, although you couldn't see what her face looked like. Was it disgust? Judgement? Pity? You turn to look at her. Her eyes are brimming with tears but the look in her eyes is filled with something you weren't expecting, especially from Nancy: anger.

She shifts in her seat to face you, putting a hand on your shoulder. "Y/N...we're going to figure this out, okay? I'm going to do my very best to help you. No one should have to go through that. And whoever he is...we're going to make sure he pays for what he's done."

That does it

That does it...the compassion is too much to bear and it claws down the walls you keep trying to desperately to keep up. Your face crumples, shoulders shaking with silent sobs. When were you going to be able to talk about this without crying?

"Oh, Y/N..." Nancy whispers, pulling you into a hug.

Once you start to settle, you murmur into her shoulder, "Thanks, Nancy."

She pulls away, her hands on your shoulders. "Don't thank me until we've found something," she says, eyes serious, before she's exiting your car and making a beeline toward the entrance of the library.