36. "Friends Will Be Friends"

The lunch table is oddly quiet with just Steve, Stacy, Robin and Nancy. No one is saying it, but they all notice it's your second day absent from school. Each hasn't heard from you, but the rest of them don't know that. Each of them, except Robin, knows a piece of the story, but the rest of them don't know that.

They make small talk. About holiday break plans. Plans for Snow Ball right after break. But the darting of eyes and picking at food speaks more volumes than the strained conversation ever could.

Nancy is the first to break the silence. "Stacy, did Y/N happen to find you on Saturday? She told me she was going to go talk to you after I saw her."

"You were hanging with Y/N on Saturday? She came to my house but then left immediately saying she wasn't feeling good. She was acting really weird. I tried calling her but her mom picked up and said she was sick and wasn't coming to school. But I don't know..." she shrugs her shoulders, fiddling with the top of her Sprite can. "...what were you doing hanging out with Y/N? Not that, you know, we don't all hang out together, but I didn't know you do, like hung out hung out..."

"We usually don't," Nancy shakes her head. "Not that I don't like her, of course," she adds quickly. "She just asked me to help her at the library with a ...project that morning."

"Oh, I'm glad she got in touch with you then! Did it work out?" Steve asked enthusiastically, much more out of the loop than Stacy and Nancy.

"Wait, what?" Robin pipes up, brows furrowed in confusion.

"Y/N came to Scoops a few days ago asking for Nancy's number

"Y/N came to Scoops a few days ago asking for Nancy's number. Said she was the only one that could help her with something. Were you able to help her, Nancy Drew?"

"No," Nancy says quietly, looking disappointed. "I told her to go find you, Stacy," she points. "I thought you could help her more than I could..."

"Okay, hold on," Steve says, holding his hands up to stop everyone from talking in circles. "Exactly what the hell are we all talking about here? What project? Y/N was super secretive about why she needed to talk to you, Nanc, and now she's not here. She's like, never, missed a day of school. She's never been so much as late. Stacy thinks she's acting weird, and she knows Y/N better than any of us...except maybe Munson," he looks over his shoulder at Eddie, as do the girls. He's already looking in their direction, but pokes his tongue out of his mouth and quickly looks down, popping a chip into his mouth.

"Maybe I should go over there and make sure he hasn't taken her as a love slave or something," Steve starts standing up to approach Eddie, but Robin pulls him back down by his shoulder.

"Relax, Rambo," she says, rolling eyes. "Munson doesn't have anything to do with this. We all know that. He worshipped her. Worships her, whatever. He's a man in love, who can't get out of his own way."

Steve runs his hands through his hair, exasperated. "Okay, so Nancy...out with it. What's going on with Y/N? Is she okay?"

 What's going on with Y/N? Is she okay?"