29. "Live to Tell"

"So, like...what do you guys think of Nancy Wheeler?" Steve asks at the lunch table the following week, not making eye contact with any of you.

"Nancy?" you ask, putting your hand in front of your mouth so you can still chew. You catch Robyn's knowing face, smirking into her lap. Nancy seemed okay, but you didn't really know her. You had an English class with her sophomore year. She seemed pretty serious about her studies, about writing.

"Yeah, I mean," Steve shrugs. "She seems cool, right?"

"A little too uptight for me..."Eddie murmurs.

You swat his arm, "Eddie! You don't even know her."

"Yeahhh, you're right," he whispers in your ear, kissing your temple.

"Wow," Steve laughs shaking his head.

"Gross," Robyn mumbles with a small smirk.

"What have you done to our leader?!" Dustin hisses dramatically, eyebrows knitted together.

"Oh shut up, guys!" you laugh. "I just mean...she seems nice. We don't really know her. Why do you ask, Steve?"

"Oh, ya know..." he fumbles, stabbing his school meatloaf a little too hard. "Just asking. She seems...cool," he shrugs noncommittally.

"Right..." you say slowly, a smile spreading across your face. "Why don't you invite her to the Halloween party you wanted to throw next week? See how cool she is. "

"Uh, yeah...I mean, maybe, whatever," Steve shrugs again, trying way too hard to act like he doesn't care.

"God, Steve. Just admit it, will you?" Robyn explodes in her typical no-filter fashion, flying her hands in the air. "You're madly in love with Nancy. You want to have babies with her. Make a whole Harrington-Wheeler brood. Is this not completely obvious yet to everyone including you?"

"Thanks for the clarification, Robyn," Steve deadpans before letting out a big sigh. "Yeah, okay, yeah...I'll invite her."

"What's everyone being?" Stacy pipes up. "I think I'm going with Cyndi Lauper...I could use a dye job," she says, shaking her curls.

"Molly Ringwald," Robyn raises her hand.

"Freddy Krueger," you pipe in with a devilish grin on your face. Eddie leans back from you, shooting you a surprised smile.

"Is that so?" he says, his eyes giving you a once-over, eyebrow cocked.

"Why not?" you shrug. "It's Halloween. It's supposed to be a little scary," you shake your shoulders and wiggle your fingers in his face. "If you want to do a couple thing, you can be Jason...or Michael Myers...or maybe just my victim," you say, jabbing your fingers playfully into his ribs, where you know he's ticklish.

"Victim sounds about right..." Dustin grumbles.

You stop laughing, pulling your hands away from Eddie's body. "Henderson, is everything okay?" You've been getting a bit of a cold vibe from him at the lunch table since Lucas' party.