𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

She ran through the forest. She held her baby in her arms, her motherly instinct taking over as let her feet travel as fast as she could. The moon was full, the footsteps echoed all around, stars twinkled in the light. She felt her foot get caught on a twig as she tripped and fell, quickly turning so that her back slammed on the ground instead of her front where her baby was softly sleeping. She didn't understand how the child was asleep after all of this, but she decided not question it. She laid on the ground for a moment, closing her eyes as she took a few breaths.

Her husband was dead. Her daughter was fatherless. The mere thought put tears in her eyes. He had died protecting them. She forced herself up, eyes scanning the woods before she came face to face with a hunter. His gun was pointed at her, wicked smile on his lips as he whispered words to himself that she didn't care to hear. She pressed her daughter close to her chest, closing her eyes as she waited the final blow but it never came. She opened her eyes only to be met with a set of glowing ones.

"Go." The woman whispered.

She didn't hesitate, turning quickly on her heel and running. She ran and ran until her feet carried her into town. She knew she was going to die. They'd seen her face. They were going to catch her. But they hadn't seen her daughters. They couldn't tell what gender the baby was and that was enough to give her the courage of what she needed to do. She ran to the closest house she could find, one that seemed safe enough for her daughter.

The sound of thunder echoed before rain poured. She quickly covered her daughter up as the rain poured down on her. Tears soaked her cheeks, soft sobs echoing from her lips. She removed the necklace from around her neck, placing it around her daughters. She pressed a gentle kiss to her baby girl's forehead, heart breaking at the thought of never getting to see her again. To raise her. She was going to be an orphan. All she could hope for was that these people would take her daughter in with open arms. With one last kiss and a small note tucked under the baby's arm she rang the doorbell, set the baby down on the step, and then ran.

The sound of the doorbell hadn't woken Missy Wells. Her crying infant had finally gone to sleep in her arms after what felt like hours of rocking. She closed her eyes, praying that the sound hadn't woken her daughter up. A breath of relief left her body when it didn't. She laid baby Addison down gently into her crib. Missy walked out of the room before making her way down the steps. She pulled open the door, looking around before the muffled sounds of crying could be heard. Missy looked down and her eyes widened.

"Hello," she whispered, picking the bundle up. "Let's get you out of the rain before you get sick." She walked inside, closing the door behind her. The sound of footsteps approached making her look up. Her husband, Dale, rubbed the sleep from his eyes. He stopped when he watched his uncover the baby's face. "Someone just left her here."

Dale walked forwards, looking down at the sleeping infant. "I guess we have a right to take care of her."

Missy looked at him, a small smile pulling at her lips at his suggestion. "Do you think we can handle them both."

"I think we can."

Missy then frowned. "What's this?" She pulled a note from under the baby's arm. She read it and smiled. "Wren Whysper Meadows. What a unique name. What a beautiful name."

"We'll have to change her last name to ours." Dale commented. "That's the only way."

Missy nodded. "Wren Whysper Wells. I've never heard so many w's in someone's name." She smiled down at the baby girl. "Welcome home."