𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞

CHAPTER NINE:WINONA

CHAPTER NINE:
WINONA

WREN TOOK A MOMENT TO process what she'd just said. A moment of panic flared inside of her chest, her eyes widening in surprise. She wanted to run away. To turn and leave, but there was no going back now. The woman had sat up, looking at Wren with a kind smile. Wren was frozen in place. She couldn't move, she couldn't speak. Part of her was wondering if she'd just imagine it, if this was some kind of sick joke that her mind was playing on her. When she looked at Wyatt and saw the small smile that was on his face, she knew that wasn't the case. That this was real.

"Y-your what?" Wren stuttered.

"Come, my child." She spoke, beckoning Wren with her hand.

"Wyatt, I don't think I can do this." Wren whispered, shaking her head. She wished she had kept her mouth shut and never asked. She knew that this conversation was going to turn her entire life upside down. Wren wasn't sure if she could handle it.

Wyatt turned to look at her, bringing his hands up to either side of her face. "Hey, look at me." She did. "You got this, Wren. I'll be right out there if you need me, okay? This is your destiny. You deserve to know the full truth. You deserve to know why your mother left the way that she did." Wren stared at him for a moment before nodding her head. Wyatt placed a kiss on her forehead and gave her a quick reassuring wink before walking out and leaving the two alone.

"I know you're nervous." The woman spoke up. "I can hear your heart beat racing in fear. I don't bite. I promise." She chuckled at her own joke. "Please. Sit." Hesitantly, Wren did as she asked. "Wren, is it?"

"Yes," Wren nodded.

"Beautiful," she whispered. "Your mother picked out such a beautiful name for you. I was there when she did it. When she found out that she was pregnant with you, she was so happy. A child of her own was all she'd ever wanted in life. She was so young."

"What was her name?" Wren asked.

"Willow." She smiled. "Willow Whysper Meadows."

"Whysper," Wren repeated. "That's my middle name."

"You father loved her middle name so much, he wanted you to have it." The woman answered.

"My father. . ." Wren whispered. "He was in the picture? He abandoned me too?"

Her grandmother quickly shook her head. "No, dear. No. That's not what happened at all."

"Then what did happen? Please. I need to know why my parents left me on someone else's doorstep." Wren begged her. "If she was your daughter, why didn't she just leave me here with you?"

"She was scared they would find us." Her grandmother replied. Winona Meadows stared at her granddaughter with a sad look in her eyes. Wren frowned deeply at her response.