- I -

No one tells you the evil that surrounds our life,
Most of us may be blind to it or choose to look past it.
Life was not at all what I expected it to be,
I didn't realize there was a world outside of my community,
A place where others struggle to get by,
A place that I was shielded from.
A place where I met the one man who kept it real—and made sure I saw the impurity of the world we live in.

This is my story and how it all begins.......

________

"Daddy, when will you let me go outside?" 5-year-old Jade asked

"Daddy, when will you let me go outside?" 5-year-old Jade asked. Her father, Lance looked down at his beautiful little girl who was tucked tightly underneath the princess bed sheets and comforter. She was hugging her favorite plush animal that her mother made for her.

"Princess" he settled down beside her, caressing her cheek ever so slightly.

"There's no reason for us to go out there"

"B-but you and mommy go all the time, it's not fair" Jade whined as tears welled in her waterline. She always watched outside the window at the various kids playing together and running around.

"The world is too poisonous for little kids, daddy has to keep you safe from the world and the people inside it" Lance planted a kiss on his daughter's forehead. He could see the sadness in her face as she focused her attention on her animal plushie.

I stared down at my animal plushie with a smile on my face. It was hard to believe I held onto this stuffed animal for 17 years and it was still in good condition. As I got older, my father was still extremely strict about letting me go outside.

"Jade honey did you hear me" I moved my gaze from the plush animal to the vanity mirror where I locked eyes with my stylist.

"I'm so sorry Regina. What did you ask?"

"Do you want the usual high ponytail?" She asked, rubbing her fingers through my hair. I nodded with a smile.

"Yes please" I gleamed. My father told me that I should never have to lift a finger for anything, which is why I have a personal stylist that does my hair as well as picks my clothes for the day. This was my usual routine every morning. I get asked the same questions, I eat the same meals at the same times as well as do the same activities every single day. It has become so routine that I don't need to know what time it is to know what's next on my agenda.

Once a month, I am allowed to go shopping with my mother out into the community town. My dad says too much time outside isn't healthy. Although I do sneak outside to the backyard to lay in the grass whenever I get the chance. I don't complain as I got everything I need in this very house. He recently had an extension of a dance studio so I can practice ballet more.