- XXII -

Hours turned to days and now weeks

Shai hasn't been home for almost two weeks and I wasn't sure what to do. I've been blowing up his phone trying to figure out what happened. I knew something was off that night and I had a feeling he did too.

I used my key to unlock my parents house to be met with silence. I furrowed my eyebrows looking around the corridor. I didn't hear the usual sound of the vacuum or the chatter among the staff. I switched into the house shoes locking the door.

"Dad?" I called out as I continued walking in the direction of his office. I knocked a couple of times before opening the door to be met with darkness. I took a glance behind me as I slid in keeping the door cracked. I flipped on his desk light as I observed his laptop. I let my fingers graze the top as I shifted my focus to his bottom drawer. It had a padlock on it which was strange. I peeked up towards the cracked door before squatting to its height.

"What are you hiding" I mumbled as I let my fingers rub against the numbers. I had no clue what the combination could be. I sat up looking at the few papers stuffed underneath his laptop. I moved his laptop slightly as I stared at the photographs with wide eyes. They were all of me. I rummaged through them to see he had pictures of me with everyone I associated with. I pulled my phone out snapping it when the door started creaking open. My stomach dropped to my ankles as I quickly sat the laptop back the way he had it.

"What are you doing in here?" One of the maids asked with a skeptical look. I gave a bright smile as maneuvered around his desk.

"Just picking up my immunization records for ballet" I spoke holding up the paper. She looked at me weird as she clenched tighter on her broom. I gave her another smile as I slipped out of the room. I made my way to the kitchen to see Shaun was preparing lunch.

"Hey Shaun" I beamed. I guess I spooked him since he flinched hard and dropped the whisk out of his hands.

"Oh jade, I'm so sorry" he quickly grabbed it off the floor and began washing it. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Are you ok—" I noticed the black runs around his eye that made me gasp. "What the hell happened"

"It's nothing, do you want a sandwich?" He questioned drying his hands off. I shook my head grabbing his shaking arms.

"Tell me what's going on, who did this to you?"

"Don't you get it Jade, I said too much to you" he snarled getting out of my grasp.

"Said too much... did my dad hurt you?" He shrugged.

"Nobody hurt me, I fell" I glanced around to see a few of the maids stealing small glances my way. I tapped my finger against my chin as I walked over to them.

"Instead of eavesdropping you should clean that mess y'all made in the pool house, it would be a shame if my father found out you brought outsiders on his property"