【 Paper Bouquet 】

❝ You promise you won't laugh? ❞

You promise you won't laugh?

────────────────────

ㅤ"I said to knock before you come-" Kokonoi paused in the middle of his sentence upon seeing who it was that came in. "Oh, hey, (N/n) good to see you here." His demeanor returns to neutral.

ㅤ(Y/n) rightfully was put off by his change in attitude compared to the last time they met. He was annoyed with every little thing about her last time; now why was he so docile today? "Good day to you too." She brushes the thought off as him having a bad day at that time. It is useless to dwell on his behavior too much.

ㅤ"Wait here. I'll go get your paycheck."

ㅤAs she waited for his return. Her mind start to wander off to the promise she had made with Manjiro. In fact, she had to plead with him to excuse her from his side so she could meet up with Kokonoi today because he keeps insisting that she shouldn't leave him alone. Manjiro permits her to receive her commission, but more than that. (Y/n) only comply after he said he would pay for her lost time that she could've spent on dealing with their 'customers'.

ㅤIn the past, Manjiro was a little clingy and liked to ask her about herself more than any other person. Now, in the present time, it felt as if his behavior had increased on the clinginess. It's difficult for her to flee now that Manjiro has her in his sights. Even if he isn't as expressive as he was in the past, it's glaringly obvious that he's trying to keep her from going back to Takashi's residence on some days.

ㅤ"Here. I'm giving you a bonus for keeping them all intact." Kokonoi returns with an envelope of cash in hand. She gratefully received it and got up from the sofa.

ㅤ"Thank you. I shall be leaving now." She says.

ㅤ"Yeah yeah... Good job, by the way."

ㅤHer hand rests on the knob, ready to open it. Kokonoi's voice halts her action. "Wait- aren't you going to check what's in the envelope first?"

ㅤ"Should I?" She said, slightly confounded.

ㅤ"Well, yeah? I could've scammed you out of your money, and you wouldn't have any proof of it." His head nudges toward the security camera in the corner of the room. "Don't be so trusting of people here. You're in a shady line of occupation, remember?"

ㅤHer (color) eyes switch up and down between him and the envelope before eventually processing the information. "Understood." She replies curtly.

ㅤShe checked the content inside the envelope as he told her, much to his surprise she was quite compliant from being abruptly lectured. (Y/n) flip the money to thoroughly examine each yen she was given.

ㅤ"Two hundred and thirty thousand yen confirmed. Thank you for the advice, I shall be keeping it in mind." She bows before heading out, leaving Kokonoi at a loss from her parting words.