〖 The Taxidermist 〗

〘 Manjiro's Left Hand Reaper 〙

Manjiro's Left Hand Reaper

Recommended NOT to skip since it explains a bit why this fanfic Manjiro is different than the canon Bonten Manjiro + there are some plots, but it mostly revolves around Manjiro and Takemichi. It will be revealed later in the story anyway.

If skip might wanna see the extra for (Y/n) canon appearance and her old world appearance [BUT SKIP IF THAT RUIN YOUR IMMERSION]

────────────────────

ㅤEveryone has a turning point in their lives, some remember, and some do not. A scene so vivid that it left an indelible impression on her that recalling it becomes an unsettling sensation.

ㅤA portrait of her smiling friend over a coffin embraced by beautiful flowers carefully picked out by someone. Nothing in the room seems colorful, everything besides the coffin looks to be buried in her head. When she glances at everyone else she felt as if she was intruding on this mournful day. Cladded in black, everyone else never looks so drained from life. If her friend was alive, she would be laughing at them, but life is cruel and they would never hear her voice again.

ㅤSano Emma, who passes away so soon. When she was hospitalized her soft and fragile sleeping face felt as if she could wake up at any time even now and give them a grin. Why would life take away the future of someone who shines so brilliantly? The winter's snow piling up out the window was as if even nature was mourning their loss while the blazing sun mocks their sorrow. The chirping birds were nowhere to be seen today.

ㅤAs the ceremony begins, everyone wordlessly watches. Tears were shed and looks of regret were exchanged. Manjiro and his grandfather offer incense as the guests behind them do the same. Following the wake, flowers begin to pile up in the casket around her head. (Y/n) remembers how her hands shake when it was her turn. A freshly picked camellia japonica she placed next to Emma's head.

ㅤReality finally hits when the two Sano slowly guides her remains into an urn. Each fragment of her bone was passed around with a chopstick, never to be seen again. Oh, how everyone panics when Manjiro hollowly holds her remains in his hands and ends up burning his skin. Everyone there cries or lowers their heads as his grandfather repeatedly apologizes for being unable to afford a longer name for Emma.

ㅤFuneral was a luxury back in her world. No one had time for it since it was a constant blazing war. (Y/n) never understood how painful it was to say her last goodbye to someone properly until now. She still remembers her old acquaintance who died within her reach.

ㅤ‘Let's meet again... In our next life...!’ That person's existence is now so insignificant in this world that bare no name of the person. She doesn't even remember the name or appearance of the deceased. Still, it was agonizing to hear that someone cared for her.