𝒕𝒆𝒏

Calvin
• • •

By the time I boarded the nine o'clock bus, the moon was already high in the sky. Darkness was the perfect concealment for my departure.

I hadn't bothered to tell anyone where I was going or when I might return. I didn't wish for anyone to know the truth, or for them to form expectations of when I might come home. I wasn't sure I'd even be allowed to go home. It was best that I simply vanished without a trace. I only hoped I would be back by Friday.

As the bus began to chug towards my impending doom, my thoughts flickered to Saturn. She hadn't seemed enthused by my joining her class. I'd hoped she might wish to spend more time together outside of the bookshop, but then again I had been nothing but a prick to her since our meeting. Hopefully, after the next five days my mood would lift.

I'd been especially cold towards Saturn during the two days leading up to my departure. I did not entertain her questions about why I was going away. I did not speak to her unless I had a new duty for her to complete. My actions left me feeling dreadful, but it was for the best. I could not muster kindness with this pressure on my back.

By the time I arrived at the training base three hours later, I already yearned to be back at Kenton.

To be back with Saturn.