Haunted

Kylo had been working nonstop. Whether it was with Force Technologies or the FBI giving them everything he had on Snoke, he was relentless and threw himself into it all. You knew he needed a break and tried several times just to get him to relax with you, watch a movie or cook a meal but he always gave you a kiss and promised to do it another day. He had barely taken the time to process the grief about his father's death that you knew he was feeling and burying deep down.

You laid in bed and couldn't find sleep. Your brain worrying about him and when he might just...crash. You were glad he hadn't pushed you away and you were hoping he wouldn't surprise you and do it when everything caught up to him. You needed each other right now. So, as you lay in bed, Kylo's side cold and empty, you knew it wasn't worth trying to fall asleep.

Several minutes passed by until you started to hear the faint noise of the piano. The moment giving you deja vu to the first time you heard Kylo's playing. You quietly kicked your legs over the side of the bed, got up, and threw on one of Kylo's t-shirts. You walked quietly towards the loft that overlooks the living area in Kylo's penthouse. You leaned against the railing as you watched him. He always had a way of playing a song that matched his feelings. The ones he couldn't express out loud. You smiled as you watched how beautifully he played. The more you listened the more you became familiar with the tune realizing he was playing "Chasing Cars."

If I lay here

If I just lay here

Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

I don't quite know

How to say

How I feel

Those three words

Are said too much

They're not enough

Kylo was moving his fingers over the keys effortlessly even with no sheet music in front of him to go off of. The realization of the lyrics and their meaning slowly began to sink in.

Let's waste time

Chasing cars

Around our heads

I need your grace

To remind me

To find my own

You could feel the tears welling in your eyes as the lyrics he started softly singing reached your ears. His voice was soft but deep, you knew he was feeling every single word in his heart. He hadn't intended for anyone to hear but somewhere deep in your heart, you knew he hoped you would hear. That you would listen to what he was trying to tell you.

All that I am

All that I ever was

Is here in your perfect eyes, they're all I can see

I don't know where

Confused about how as well

Just know that these things will never change for us at all

If I lay here

If I just lay here

Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

Your tears fell as Kylo came to the end of his song. You watched his chest rise and fall as he took heavy breaths. You knew that even though it was a simple act of just reciting the lyrics of a well-known song, it was everything he felt inside. Finally letting it all out, even if it wasn't his own words, surely lifted a weight off his shoulders. He sat on the piano bench just staring down at the keys when you lightly padded down the stair to join him.