𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣

𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣. 𝘓𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘋𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘩

...

⚠️ TW: I would like to bring notice that the beginning of this chapter speaks about abortion and topics along the lines of such. I just wanted to let anyone know in advance in case it is a topic that they are sensitive to and would not want to read about.  ⚠️

...

LIFE ITSELF IS A MIRACLE. To be born is a miracle. To feel emotions such as happiness and sadness is a miracle. And to wake up the next day and experience it all over again is a miracle, and Elizabeth Alder knew this from a very young age. The concept of life had always fascinated her. Birth was something she saw as a gift. Although she knew nursing was her calling, saving a life brought the golden hired girl more fulfillment than she could ever image. But with all the saving she has done for everyone else she found herself seemingly digging her own grave, and she soon began to wonder if there would ever be anyone around to save her when she needed?

Saving and sustaining life was all Elizabeth had practiced, so the moment Polly and Ada came knocking on her door with a request to terminate one all she could feel was empty and weak. If she even had the strength, let alone the proper tools was what ran through the girls mind as the three women stood in silence.

Elizabeth knew very well what would come if Ada were to have a child outside of marriage, especially to a man like Freddie Thorne. Worrying about what the people of Small Heath would think would be the least of the young Shelby girls problems, both she and Miss Alder knew; The Shelby brothers, or more specifically Thomas, would be the ones she'd have to watch out for.

"The longer you wait, the worse it gets", Polly breaks the silence.

     Being only six years younger than Polly, Elizabeth was relatively close with her back in the day. Though she always called her aunt she was closer to a good friend or older sister than anything. Elizabeth could recall the countless life lessons Pol would sit her down for; Usually as a result of her finding out the hard way herself.

Elizabeth could see the hurt behind Polly's eyes as Ada remains silent. It was if the blonde could feel her aunt's heart beating from across the room, and she had a pretty good feeling as to why.

With all the good that her aunt had taught her, there was one specific negative experience that was forever stuck in her head; As if someone took a stone and carved it in. Elizabeth was only 10, and Polly just 16. It was what seemed to be a regular day for the golden haired girl, that was until she came across her aunt later that night. All alone she found her Aunt Pol, laying on the ground with blood surrounding her. Being 10 Elizabeth didn't fully understand what she was witnessing. All she knew was red was bad, and there was a good amount of it. "Liz, go get your Mom" was all Elizabeth remembers Polly struggling to say.