Chapter 2: The taste of rum

Three days had gone by since Riri's party and I still hadn't heard anything from Shuri.

"It's probably better that way," I tried to convince myself while getting ready for class. The weather had been chilly for the last few days, so I put on some comfy sweatpants, a soft jumper I stole out of my dad's closet, the last time I visited him and a black beanie. Taking a glimpse at the clock, I noticed, that I only had 15 minutes left to pack my things and get to the classroom.

Most of my classmates were already sitting at their tables waiting for our teacher to start the lesson when I entered the classroom. I sat down at my usual place in the back next to the huge window, from where I could overlook the whole campus.

Our teacher came into the classroom putting his laptop on the desk and writing today's assignment on the black board.

"Your personal Self-Portrait"

"You have the next two hours to create a self-portrait, but without actually drawing yourself. You're free to interpret this in your own way, and you can use whatever materials you like. As always," he added, "I expect you to come up with something unique, and you will present your work in next week's lesson.""So, if there are no questions you can start now." I heard him say, taking out my sketchbook and writing down some ideas.

By the time I got out of school, it was already getting dark, so I took the bus to Ava's apartment. We planned to order pizza and continue watching our favorite show called "Gilmore Girls". I had already seen it a million times, but it gave me so much comfort, especially now in fall when it was freezing outside, and the world was covered in colours.

"I'm starving," Ava greeted me, "I already ordered our pizza, margherita for you as always."

"Hi to you too," I chuckled taking of my shoes and flopping down on her couch.

She laughed sitting down next to me, "I saw Riri and Shuri yesterday," she paused looking for a reaction on my face, "they were on their way to some rooftop party,"

"Oh, really?" I asked trying to seem unbothered.

"Yep, Shuri told me to say hi from her," Ava smirked, "seems like you two really hit it off at Riri's party." She raised her eyebrows waiting for me to say something.

"Yeah, she's nice," I stated shrugging my shoulders.

"Nice?" Ava frowned, "did something happen between you two?"

"No, why?"

Ava gave me a confused look, "Because you spent the whole evening talking to her and now, she's just ...nice."

I rolled my eyes, "Alright she was more than nice, we had a good conversation, but she didn't give me her number, nor did she ask for mine. So, I'm guessing it was only a one-time thing."

"Great, finally something useful," Ava teased, "maybe she doesn't have a phone? I don't know how things work in Wakanda, or maybe she just didn't get the chance to ask for your number."

"Whatever, it's not a big deal, maybe I'll meet her again, or maybe I won't," Saved by the doorbell, I got up and went to get the pizza.

We spent the rest of the evening on the couch, eating our pizza, gossiping about the newest drama and watching three episodes of Gilmore Girls. It was already midnight when I got up to go home.

"You know I can just drive you to your dorm," Ava repeated yawning.

"Really, it's fine I'll just walk to the bus stop down the street, no need to drive me, but thanks," I smiled hugging her goodbye and stepping outside into the cold night air.