Chapter 23: into the abyss

I was unable to move, my brain struggled to process what was happening. Nakia's words barely made it through to me.

"You're coming with me, we'll take the jet and fly over the city to get the civilians out of danger," she said, starting to walk towards the exit.

The explosions were coming closer and closer, and my eyes were fixed on the window. My mind was completely overtaken by panic.

"Y/N?! Can you hear me? Look at me!" Nakia's voice snapped me out of the panic spiral I was in.

"Are you alright?" she asked with concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just panicked for a second... sorry" I replied, quickly following her to the exit.

We ran to the jet, where three rescue teams were already waiting for us. Okoye was in the jet, ready to take off, yelling instructions to Nakia.

Okoye navigated the jet through the high buildings, hovering over the destroyed parts of the city, while Nakia beamed the civilians up into the jet.
The rescue workers took care of everyone, and I helped keep everything under control by showing everyone to their seats.
The jet was filling up quickly, and we had to return to the landing site to get everyone to safety before taking off again.

I looked out of the window, and my heart sank when I saw Shuri getting thrown through the air and disappearing into the water.
Okoye must've seen it too because she slowed down and told Nakia to search for Shuri.

"I can't find her, she's not on the radar..." Nakia stated, trying to stay calm.

"I'll try to go lower, she landed in the water, maybe she's stuck under something," Okoye said, before slowly letting the jet sink over the water.

My heart was racing, and I could feel the panic coming back. I couldn't see her between the roaring waves, and Nakia still hadn't found her.
She had been underwater for a while already, and Okoye couldn't go any lower. She was yelling at Nakia, to go down there and get her, but we were still too high for her to jump.

I stared into the waves, hoping to spot her when I caught a glimpse of her suit in the water.

"There! I see her, she's stuck under that tree, on our left!" I screamed, pointing out of the window.

Okoye turned the jet, giving me a clear view of Shuri's limp body hanging between the branches.

"I got her!" Nakia yelled.

I watched as Shuri was beamed up into the jet. When the entrance on the floor opened, I ran to her, taking her lifeless body into my arms.

"She has no pulse! I'm starting CPR right now," Nakia placed her Komoyo Beads on Shuri's chest, gesturing for me to let go of her.

Tears ran down my face as I watched Shuri getting shocked over and over again.
It felt like time was standing still, everyone around me was yelling, and Nakia continued shocking her, but she didn't move.

"Don't stop! We can't lose her too!" Okoye yelled from the steering paddle.

"Shuri please wake up!" I screamed in panic.

Nakia shocked her again, and I could see how she was losing hope.

After another shock, Shuri finally started to cough.
We turned her onto her side so that the water wouldn't clog her throat. After she had coughed out all the water, she sat up straight, looking around in distress.

"What happened? I need to get back down there," she said, gripping Nakia's arm.

"You almost died, at least give your body a few minutes to rest..." Nakia replied.