Chapter 22: a false sense of safety

The city looked even worse than when I had left after the first attack.
My heart hurt at the sight of all the damage. The streets were filled with people saving what was left of their destroyed homes, Doras trying to keep everything under control, giving out survival packages, and volunteers taking care of the injured.

I felt Shuri squeeze my hand, and when I looked at her, I could see how she was taken aback by the view.

We were already expected when we landed, Aneka and a woman I hadn't seen before were waiting for us to exit the jet.
The woman was dressed in a green-blue uniform, her dark hair was put up in a claw clip, and she smiled warmly when she saw us.

Shuri hugged her tightly and gestured for me to come closer.

"There's someone I want you to meet," she said with a small smile.

"Hi, I'm Nakia, and you must be y/N, I've heard a lot about you," she said, pulling me into a hug.
Something about her made me feel at ease immediately.

"Hey, yes I'm y/N, I hope it was only good things you've heard," I chuckled.

"Yes, Shuri speaks very highly of you, it's nice to meet you," she answered, winking at Shuri.

"I'm glad to hear that, and it's great to meet you too," I said, looking at Shuri with a smirk.

Okoye pulled Nakia aside, talking in a hushed tone.

Shuri took my hand and squeezed it reassuringly.
Aneka insisted on carrying my bags as we walked to the palace.
Shuri told me that Nakia was her brother's girlfriend and the mother of his son. They had been together for years, and she was the only family Shuri had left. I could hear how much Nakia meant to Shuri by the way she talked about her.

Aneka left us alone after putting my bags down in my old room and informing Shuri that she was going back to the city to help the others.

Shuri was standing in front of the window with a concerned look. I wrapped my arms around her from behind and rested my chin on her shoulder. She relaxed at my touch and leaned into me.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked.

"It's nothing," She answered quickly.

"I know that's a lie... you can talk to me about everything, I hope you know that," I said.

"I know, but I don't want you to worry... It's just that I'm scared that something happens again, and that Namor won't be able to help us," she mumbled.

"Oh Shuri, I get that, but I'm sure everything will turn out all right, you just can't lose faith,"
I turned her around and rested our foreheads against each other, "I'm here for you, always... don't forget that."

She pressed a soft kiss on my lips.

"I'm really glad you're here," she whispered against my lips.

Shuri had to leave after an hour to help Nakia reinforce the border defence system. I spent the rest of the afternoon settling in and preparing dinner for Shuri and me.

By the time Shuri got home, I was done with cooking and about to clean the kitchen.
She looked concerned but tried to cover it up with a smile when she saw what I had prepared.
The table was set and decorated with candles.

She pulled me in and pressed a long kiss on my lips, and I could feel how much she needed this.

"Are you okay?" I asked after she pulled away.

"More or less, but I don't really wanna talk about it right now..."

She sat down at the table and glanced into the pot standing in the middle. I scooped a spoonful of fried rice onto our plates before taking a seat opposite her.
We talked about school while we enjoyed the food, and even though something was obviously worrying her, I accepted that she didn't want to talk about it.