Chapter 21: great news

I skipped classes the next day, and Shuri and I spent the whole day in bed, watching TV and making out. Everything was perfect. We were safe in our little bubble, just the two of us together without thinking about all the problems in the real world.

I had just gotten up to get us some popcorn when I heard Shuri talking to someone in a hushed tone.
Out of reflex, I stopped before entering the room and listened. I couldn't figure out who she was talking to, but she sounded worried.

"I can't come back right now, I just got her back, and if I leave now everything will be ruined again..."
The person on the other end said something I couldn't understand but regarding Shuri's upset voice, it couldn't be good.

"I know that it's my responsibility, but I almost lost her, I won't risk losing her again... you said yourself that she is good for me..." Shuri hissed into her bracelet.

I felt guilty for eavesdropping, but it was too late anyways.
After a second of contemplating if I should just act like I hadn't heard anything, I softly knocked on the open door and entered the room.

"I'll call you back," Shuri said before hanging up.

She looked up at me with an unsure look on her face, and I could tell that she was upset.

"I'm guessing you heard my conversation..." she asked, pressing her lips into a thin line.

"Not all of it, but I overheard the end... I'm sorry I didn't want to eavesdrop," I answered, putting the bowl of popcorn on the nightstand.

"It's fine, I would've told you about it anyways," she said gesturing for me to sit down next to her.

"Did something happen?" I asked.

"Nothing new, but the tribal council isn't happy that I left the country in this difficult situation, and they want me to return immediately, that was Okoye on the phone, and she said they are pretty upset..." Shuri sighed.

"Oh yeah that sounds serious, you should probably go back..." I answered quietly.

"I know, but I don't want to leave now that we finally made up, but my country needs me and I can't put my needs over the safety of my nation... Fuck, this sucks, when things are finally getting better, something always comes up," she groaned with frustration and rested her head in her hands.

I put my hand on her shoulder, "Shuri, it's sweet that you would rather stay here with me, but I understand that you have responsibilities and can't just stay away for too long, especially in a situation like this... we'll have to figure out a way to make this work, but I promise you won't lose me again,"

She leaned her head against my shoulder, and I wrapped my arm around her, pressing a soft kiss on top of her hair.

"I guess there is no other way, you can come back as soon as everything is under control again, but until then we have to make this long-distance thing work... Just so you know, I am all in," she said with a sincere look in her eyes.

"I am too..." I pressed a soft kiss on her lips.

Okoye picked her up later in the afternoon, and until then she didn't let go of me for one second.
She left with the promise to come visit as soon as possible, and we both had teary eyes when she had to let go of my hand.

I went back to my apartment, still not grasping everything that had happened in the last 48 hours.
Shuri texted me as soon as she landed, telling me that she already missed me terribly.

The next few weeks went by terribly slowly.
It felt like torture; I finally got Shuri back, but I couldn't be with her.
We face timed daily, updating each other on what was happening in our lives.
The situation in Wakanda was still critical, there had been another attack, which Shuri and the Doras were able to stop before it could do too much damage. Shuri had scheduled to meet with Namor again to ask him for help, and she was hoping that he could do something to stop the attacks.