Chapter 5: tempting

I was standing in the middle of the conference room of the school as I heard loud sobs coming from outside the door. There was no one around besides me, so I went to check on the person crying. The hall was completely empty too, absolute silence besides the crying noises. I started walking into the direction of the sound, checking every room without success. It seemed as if I got closer, but I couldn't reach the sound.

I felt my entire body shudder when a heart shattering scream echoed through the corridors. I immediately recognized Shuri's voice feeling the blood freeze in my veins. She was screaming for help shaking with broken sobs. I called out her name but didn't receive any answer.

Suddenly, the sobs were right behind me. I slowly turned around not knowing what to expect.

Shuri was sitting on the ground leaning against the wall her knees pulled up to her chest. Tears were running down her cheeks the pain visible on her face. I ran to her dropping to my knees pulling her into my arms. She showed no response still shaking with sobs.

"Shuri, look at me," I crouched down in front of her trying to calm her down, but she still didn't react.

"Please Shuri, look at me" I begged desperately, feeling tears well up in my eyes.

My whole body shuddered as she lifted her head looking right through me as if I wasn't there...

I jolted awake drenched in sweat my heart racing.

Glancing at the clock I saw that it was 5 am. I got up rushing over to Shuri's room to make sure it was just a dream. Her room was dark, but I could see her figure underneath the blanket peacefully sleeping. Thank God, she's okay I thought to myself quietly closing her door returning to my room.

I woke up a few hours later the sunlight seeking through the curtains. The clock showed 10 am, so I decided to get up as I was feeling hungry in need of coffee.

Shuri's room was empty, her bed made and her sweats neatly folded. I went to the kitchen finding a croissant and some fruits waiting for me on the counter next to a note saying that Shuri was in her lab and wouldn't be returning till the late afternoon.

After I finished eating and drinking my coffee, I took a shower and got ready to go to the campus to sign up for the classes I wanted to take.

The chauffeur was waiting outside the gate as if he knew that I needed a ride. He dropped me off at the school informing me that Okoye was on her way.

Okoye arrived a few minutes later wearing her uniform as always.

"Hi y/N," she said without emotion. "Shuri ordered me to give you this," She handed me a bracelet made of black beads and a blue one with different white symbols on them. Okoye explained that these were Kimoyo Beads which were used for basically everything. She showed me how to use the communication tool and promised me to explain the rest another time before she left me alone.

I went to the administration office to sign up for my classes. After that was done, I decided to explore the campus for a while.

Most of the buildings were quite high, shining in the sunlight. I had never seen anything like this, the architecture was way more advanced than ours in New York.

I had reached the river that flowed through Wakanda, so I sat down at the foot of a tree taking out my sketchbook. This was exactly what I needed after last night, the birds chirping, and the sound of the river made me feel at ease. I started to sketch the view, letting my pen fly over the paper, drawing the flow of the river.

The time passed by without me noticing. I was completely focused until a sound rang from my bracelet informing me that I had received a message.

It was a text from Shuri telling me to wait at the main entrance as she would be picking me up in 10 minutes. I grabbed my sketchbook trying to remember the way to where Shuri was meeting me. There was a weird feeling in my stomach probably fear of things being awkward between us and her closing again like she did the evening before. Not that I took it personally, but I wanted to make her feel better.