Chapter 4: helpless

By the time Shuri got out of the lab I had managed to unpack all my stuff, have a nap, and take a shower. I stepped out of the bathroom with only a towel wrapped around my body, to find Shuri sitting on my bed waiting for me. 

 "Hey, sorry it took so long, but it was more complicated than I expected," she said looking up at me licking her lips at the sight.

 "Don't look at me like that," I warned her walking over to my closet taking out a fresh pair of sweatpants and a hoodie, "I'm gonna go change in the bathroom."

 "I can just close my eyes you know" She announced with a cheeky smile her eyes following my every move. 

 "Oh, you wish," I chuckled quickly getting back in the bathroom to change. 

 As we were both exhausted, we decided to just stay at the palace and Shuri insisted on cooking for me. She put on some music ordering me to sit down and relax. I watched her prepare water for the noodles and mix different ingredients creating a creamy sauce. She looked so careless dancing to the music singing along to parts of the lyrics. I could've watched her forever. 

The pasta tasted incredible, and I helped her clean the kitchen before we went to the living room to watch a movie. 

I was sitting between her legs my back resting against her chest her hand gently playing with my hair. 

 "This never happened to me," I murmured leaning back into her, "It normally takes quite a while for me to get this comfortable with someone." 

"Me too honestly, but I'm glad about this... It feels like we've known each other forever" She answered, and I could hear the smile in her voice. 

She put on an old comedy, telling me about how this was her favourite movie as a child. 

 "My brother and I used to watch it almost daily, sitting on this same couch in our pyjamas..." My heart stung hearing the sadness in her voice. I had seen the news of his sudden death in the headlines knowing too well how she was feeling. I didn't get out of bed for weeks after my mom died and even if it was already five years ago it still hurt to think about her. 

Not knowing what to say I squeezed her hand trying to comfort her, "Are you sure you want to watch it?"

 "Yeah, I'm fine" she said, but I felt her tensing up behind me as she pressed play.

 As the movie was ending, I could hear her mumbling along to the final lines making my heart hurt even more imagining how she must be feeling. She shifted behind me, making me sit up to look at her the sight of her sad face breaking my heart. I pulled her against me wanting to comfort her, but she stiffened immediately. I felt completely helpless not knowing how to make her feel better.

"We should go to sleep," she murmured with a quiet voice her eyes avoiding mine. 

"Oh okay," She turned the TV off, and we got up walking towards my bedroom. She stopped in front of my door turning around to face me. 

"Goodnight," she whispered finally meeting my gaze. 

"You know you can stay with me if you don't want to be alone, we don't have to talk we can just go to sleep," I suggested not wanting to leave her like this, but she shook her head. 

"I'm fine, I'll see u tomorrow." She quickly turned around entering her bedroom across the hall but not without me noticing her glossy eyes. I was absolutely lost as I got into my own room and changed into my pyjamas unable to get her heartbreaking look out of my head. 

All I wanted was to make her feel better, but I had to respect her boundaries, so I slipped under my blanket trying to think of something else and finally falling into restless sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this chapter is really short, sorry about that but I had a lot of school stuff to  do today:( I hope you still enjoy it and I'll update tomorrow evening. Also thanks to everyone who commented or voted for my story<3