Chapter 19: those sad eyes

The next week went by slowly, I hadn't heard from Shuri again and I forced myself not to contact her.
Her call had set me back to the beginning because now I knew that she missed me too and that she didn't want me to leave. This made getting over her even harder, just like my dad predicted.

I focused on putting together a set list for my first gig at the bar and spent most of my free time in the studio rehearsing.
The thought of singing in front of people still made me nauseous, but there was no going back.

My performance would be about one and a half hours long, and I had to choose enough songs to play.
I decided to start with some more cheerful songs and then play the calmer ones toward the end of my set.
So far, I knew that I wanted to begin with "Sofia" by Clairo, and as the last song, I had chosen "Dancing With Your Ghost" by Sasha Alex Sloan. Ava helped me to figure out the rest of the list and Kiara added some suggestions.

The school was starting again tomorrow, so I moved back to campus. My roommate, Mia had returned from her exchange program, so at least I wasn't alone.
We got along quite well, and I had lived with her for the last year, except the four months she was away on an exchange trip. She was a year younger and a class below me.

I packed my stuff for class before getting ready for bed. Right when I was about to turn off the light, my phone rang.

"Hey, y/N," Riri's voice sounded from the other end of the line.

"Hi, Riri, how are you?" I asked.

"I'm doing alright, but I called to ask you that," I could hear the concern in her voice.

"Yeah, I'm fine, but I'm guessing Shuri told you about what happened..." I replied, trying to sound unbothered.

"Yes, she did... I think what she did was stupid, but we talked about it for a long time yesterday, and I can see why she thought she was doing the right thing," Riri said.

"Well, I don't but that doesn't matter anymore, does it?" I muttered.

"I know you're hurt, but don't give up on her yet... Anyways, I actually wanted to ask if you want to go grab something to drink tomorrow afternoon," she changed the subject.

"Yeah, of course, I have class till 3 pm so I'd have time after."

We agreed to meet at 4 pm in front of my dorm, and after we hung up, I went to sleep.

The next day's classes went by super-fast.
I continued to work on my graduation project and met with one of my professors to discuss my process.
After my last class, I went back to my dorm to get ready to meet Riri.

We went to a cute coffee place near the campus and talked about how things were going. She told me how she had spent Christmas at home with her family and showed me pictures of the gifts she got.

"So, how are you dealing with the Shuri situation?" She asked after a while.

"Honestly, not that well at the moment... She called me the other week, completely drunk and she told me how she misses me and regrets sending me home," I answered truthfully.

"Yeah, she told me about that, we talked a lot about the situation, and I can tell you one thing, she is not doing any better than you, but she thinks it's better for you to stay away," Riri said, pressing her lips together, "It's not really my place to tell you what she said, but I hope you two can talk it out one day."

"I really miss her but what she said hurt, and I'm trying not to get my hopes up again," I answered with a sigh.

We talked about Shuri for a while, before moving on to other subjects.
I told her about my upcoming gig, and she promised to be there.
Before we left the café, she told me about the current situation in Wakanda. There had been another attack since I left.