Chapter 1

Calico's P.O.V.

I frowned slightly at the drunk man across the bar, who kept staring at me with a sloppy leer on his face. I scowled and turned away, trying to focus on the music. Sadly, though, it wasn't my taste, just blaring noise. I couldn't stand rock metal, all it was is just some tone deaf idiot screeching into the microphone. I let my mind wander to the past, to Winnie. If she were here, she would make up her own silly lyrics to get my spirits up. Pain sliced through me. Winnie. She was the reason I was here.

If only I had gotten there on time, I thought for God knows how many times, if had only been 5 minutes early she would be here with me, instead of lying dead and decayed in a cemetery. She was attacked by vampires. Raped, left bone dry, and torn to shreds. I remember that day I came across her shredded corpse so easily. It was the same day that I lost my undying,continuous compassion for vampires and started killing them ruthlessly and unmercifully. Winnie had tried, repeatedly to convince me that vampires were pure evil and unfeeling monsters. I never listened to the prejudice words. Because wouldn't that make me an evil and unfeeling monster as well, if only half. But who knew it only took the horrible death of my one and only best friend to finally convince me.

After everything they did to me and what one did to my mother that resulted in me, you'd think that I would grow up mindlessly hateful of vampires. No, not me. I saw them as people. I believed they had feelings as well as humans. I saw no reason that they should be hated simply because they had no heartbeat. The horrifying things that vampires do were the same things that some humans were capable of doing. Five years had passes since I had thought that way. Since Winnie's death. Even now I search for her killer's. I don't know their names, or their faces, but I do know I can find them. I have a slight sense of their energy levels, even though it may have grown over the years, and if any vamp I cone across was involved with Winnie's death I will see her face in their memories. I smiled, silently, at the advantage I had. Just as human minds were open to vampires and ghouls, all races were open to me.

I could pick through their minds as easily as letting water pour through my fingers. I was able to pick at their memories, read their minds and every thought that ever passed through their heads. It was generally how I picked out a threat.

"Hey, you're pretty," someone said. I looked up in disgust to find the drunk guy now sitting in front of me. I sneered at him and left my seat not bothering to respond. I was bored and decided to interrupt the people on the dance floor. I walked around shoving people and walking between grinding bodies listening in mild amusement to the curses and annoyed complaints left behind.

Finally, losing interest, I had started walking to the edge of the dance with the intention of shoving the drunk guy off his seat so I can sit down again when some retard jumped in front of me and started shaking his ass in my direction. I looked to see who it was and realized it was the drunk guy from the bar. He was turning his head to grin at me with a dopey smile.

I blinked at him and kicked him in the jewels from behind. He yelped in pain and bent forward holding his part. I took the opportunity and kick his butt forward making him topple forward. I smirked at him. I tilted my head slightly at the sudden charge in the air. It was a powerful vampire, a master. I looked up to find a man watching me with amusement in his eyes. As soon as I caught his eye a charge seemed to run through my body. His eyes were deep green, quite pretty. They darkened with lust as I gave him a small smile. I walked forward and took the seat in front of him. I was going to get information from him and I was not going to let him go if he was involved with Winnie.